Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-15-2012, 07:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Calcium still low after daily dosing...

I had my water tested today, I slacked off so it hadn't been tested for a week. I usually test it twice a week. Anyway....

Everything came back good. I do have 0.05 nitrAtes which I guess isn't bad. And the other thing was my calcium was 360, I've been dosing B-ionic 2 part at 7mL every night. Would it be ok if I bumped it up to say even 8-9 mL? I dose every night.

Alk was a bit low also coming at 10

Corals are all thriving though.

The test was performed with the Salifert test kits at my friends saltwater store today.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:49 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hey Dino, I'd bump it up to 8 ml for a week, see how that treats you, and if necessary, go to 9.
Trates at .05 is real good, most people would kill for those readings.
And Alk at 10 is just fine, that's were I run mine. Some run it around 12, others around 8, so I shoot for the middle of the acceptable range.
Tank looks great, as always!

Old 09-15-2012, 11:25 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flreefer
Hey Dino, I'd bump it up to 8 ml for a week, see how that treats you, and if necessary, go to 9.
Trates at .05 is real good, most people would kill for those readings.
And Alk at 10 is just fine, that's were I run mine. Some run it around 12, others around 8, so I shoot for the middle of the acceptable range.
Tank looks great, as always!
Thanks bro! I'll do that, everything else I'd doing great! (knock on wood) this has been easier then my freshwater.

I'll bump it up for a week and test. Maybe just a lot of coral growth. I'm gonna post new pics and a FTS in a new thread tomorrow. I'm gonna link the photos so I don't use all my space. I'm gonna borrow a good camera.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 09-15-2012, 11:29 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Ya dino, your corals are sucking up the calcium so you will also have to adapt and does more! Easy peazy. Might seem annoying...but thats a very very good thing!!!
Old 09-15-2012, 11:34 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboy66
Ya dino, your corals are sucking up the calcium so you will also have to adapt and does more! Easy peazy. Might seem annoying...but thats a very very good thing!!!
Cool man thanks and K.C.C.O. lol.

Old 09-16-2012, 12:27 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161
I had my water tested today, I slacked off so it hadn't been tested for a week. I usually test it twice a week. Anyway....

Everything came back good. I do have 0.05 nitrAtes which I guess isn't bad. And the other thing was my calcium was 360, I've been dosing B-ionic 2 part at 7mL every night. Would it be ok if I bumped it up to say even 8-9 mL? I dose every night.

Alk was a bit low also coming at 10

Corals are all thriving though.

The test was performed with the Salifert test kits at my friends saltwater store today.
I got tired of dosing 2part everyday so i started a calcium reactor took 3 weeks to dial in havnt touched it in about 4 months now check once a week and calcium is 410-420 alk 11.7-12.3 i love it coral love it to
Old 09-16-2012, 12:51 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbstrong

I got tired of dosing 2part everyday so i started a calcium reactor took 3 weeks to dial in havnt touched it in about 4 months now check once a week and calcium is 410-420 alk 11.7-12.3 i love it coral love it to
Hmmm... Another idea, thank you.

Old 09-16-2012, 12:54 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbstrong

+1 on the reactor. Having it means more time to tinker with other stuff while making sure you're getting the proper calcium at the same time lol.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:01 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hey! Just wanted to give an update and thank all for helping!!

At 8mL every night of 2 part dosing B-ionic my alk is now 12 and calcium is 440.

Thanks again.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:28 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Glad it worked out for you, Dino.

Tags
calcium, dosing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com