Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-15-2004, 11:25 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Calcium will not increase.

How do you increase CA when it won’t increase?

I have been adding a two-part calcium and alkalinity supplement (ESV B-ionic) 12 out of the last 14 days

I add 20 mg of each part as instructed.

My current CA levels are pretty much where I started 2 weeks ago.

Calc = 315 mg/L (ppm)
Alk = 2.5 meq/L

I test just about every other day and have never seen an increase of more than 10.

I can't get the Ca to rise.

Temp is always stable 78-79 (Chiller)
I do a 20 percent water change every other Saturday.
The water is always RO

SG = 1.024
Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate < 10
Phosphate = 0
PH = 8.3

I am concerned that my Corals are not in the correct environment.
Other than what I am doing does anyone have any advice ?

Thanks.

Lighting: 48'' Coralife HQI aqualight pro | 2 150 watt MH | 2 96 watt true actinic fluorescents | 3 1 watt blue-moon-glow LEDs

Fish&Inverts: 3-BlueGreen Chromis | Shrimp Goby | Purple Firefish | 6 Line-Wrasse | LawnMower Blenny | Royal Gramma | Coral Beauty | Maxima Clam | 16 Assort. -Snails | LR Hitchers: Crabs, Urchins, Brittle Stars, Feather Dusters, and more

Corals: Assorted Mushrooms | Green Button Polyps | Toadstool Leather | Pulsing Xenia | Clove Polyps | Star Polyps | FrogSpawn | Branching Hammer | Candy Cane | Zoos | Ricordea | Open Brain | Bubble |
--------------------------------------------------------
24Gallon JBJ Nano Cube | LR 25lbs Marshall Creek/Tonga/Fiji | 2 Flase Percula Clowns | Shrooms | Xenia | Green Button Polyps | Snails | Hermits
EL Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 11:49 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't think that level of calcium is going to hurt the corals, but I understand your desire to increase it. How are the corals looking?

I still don't understand the chemistry behind this, but I know magnesium levels affect how much calcium can be in the water. I"m still a little too new to SW to dish out the best advice on this one, but one of the guru's will surely swing by soon.

Old 10-15-2004, 11:55 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I posted a similar experience using kalk and was told it could be a magnesium level issue.

If all you have is softies, a high Ca level is probably not really needed. I think it is a bit low compared to natural sea water though. I can't remember exactly.
Old 10-15-2004, 03:10 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

My plate coral isnt looking good at all. Not sure if it's the Ca level or not.
otherwise all my other Corals are doing great.

I want to start adding more Hard Corals so I need to get my Ca in the 400-450 range.

Anyone have an Idea what I need to do>?

Lighting: 48'' Coralife HQI aqualight pro | 2 150 watt MH | 2 96 watt true actinic fluorescents | 3 1 watt blue-moon-glow LEDs

Fish&Inverts: 3-BlueGreen Chromis | Shrimp Goby | Purple Firefish | 6 Line-Wrasse | LawnMower Blenny | Royal Gramma | Coral Beauty | Maxima Clam | 16 Assort. -Snails | LR Hitchers: Crabs, Urchins, Brittle Stars, Feather Dusters, and more

Corals: Assorted Mushrooms | Green Button Polyps | Toadstool Leather | Pulsing Xenia | Clove Polyps | Star Polyps | FrogSpawn | Branching Hammer | Candy Cane | Zoos | Ricordea | Open Brain | Bubble |
24Gallon JBJ Nano Cube | LR 25lbs Marshall Creek/Tonga/Fiji | 2 Flase Percula Clowns | Shrooms | Xenia | Green Button Polyps | Snails | Hermits
Old 10-15-2004, 03:26 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

It can take some time to get the level up. IN my reef I was following the directions and I was just staying even so I started adding double and that jacked it up to where it should be. Add a little more every day and test every day and see if adding extra helps jump it up.
Also everytime you do a water change you are removing the elements added. Is your NO3 high is that why you do a change every 2 weeks? If its not high skip a water change. What type of salt? Oceanic has a higher cal level right out of the bag so you may want to try a new salt.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 04:59 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaham358
It can take some time to get the level up. IN my reef I was following the directions and I was just staying even so I started adding double and that jacked it up to where it should be. Add a little more every day and test every day and see if adding extra helps jump it up.
Also everytime you do a water change you are removing the elements added. Is your NO3 high is that why you do a change every 2 weeks? If its not high skip a water change. What type of salt? Oceanic has a higher cal level right out of the bag so you may want to try a new salt.
My Nitrates are always <10
I do a water change every 2 weeks becasue I am obsessed with the Tank and want to ensure my water quality is the best it can be.

I use Instant Ocean I think that is Oceanic.
I will try your suggestions of increasing the dosage.

Thanks

Old 10-15-2004, 06:00 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Instant Ocean and Oceanic are two different brands.

my first thought is to test the levels of your change water before you put it in the tank. This will tell you where your "starting from" since you do water changes that often.

I think you're probably going to find levels near where you are now. Looking at your sig (still valid?) you don't have a "lot" of Ca consuming life in there so you shouldn't be having a lot of depletion.

This is just how I view things... but if your plate isn't looking good, I would slow down on the water changes. IMO, water can be "too clean" to things that live in the water. I just did a water change for the first time in a think a month... maybe two. My water parameters are about the same as yours. A little higher Ca and Alk, but not much (because I don't have very many corals so I've never cared to raise them). Again, just my opinion.
Old 10-15-2004, 06:37 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You know also, I don't know of the specific brand you are using, but I used a two part and another calcuim supplement (at different times of course) and it did NOTHING to raise my calc level. I used sea chems calcuim and it got it to where it should be in one weeks time (I am using more and more of there products as I go along, they are just really realiable IMO). I just got into corals in April of this year, so I am not as expeirenced as the others, but that is what I have noticed.

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
clowninround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 08:02 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

This may be helpful reading. I dose kalk nightly and my CA still hovers around 360-380.

http://www.aquariacentral.com/articles/calcium.shtml
46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 08:14 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

My sig is current.

My plate is doing poorly. I think it's on the way out.

My other Corals are doing great and I know they dont need to have a Ca level of 400 plus. I would really like to start adding Hard Corals but not until I have this Ca problem licked.

I will skip a water change this week-end and go a month with out it assuning my levels remain stable. then I will see if I was able to increase the Ca.

Thanks for the link to the article,

Tags
calcium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com