Caleb getting salty!?! No way..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, you can. You can recharge up to 6 times according to the bottle. I've heard of people doing it more than that...but I'm just now trying to recharge some for the first time. Haven't finished yet.

Going around town visiting new LFS that have hidden from me. Never found the time with work. They are local owned not chains so I'm hoping to get some great info and results from them.

I'll be making notes on inventory, worker knowledge, and prices. The one store I've been to before is amazing tanks and fish/coral, but a hefty price tag.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Its best not to jUMP into saltwater unless u are prepared to spend some good money. Why? because soon u will be looking into bigger and better...

Most people stair stepping when they first getting into saltwater. It is best to get the biggest tank you want and go from there.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Its best not to jUMP into saltwater unless u are prepared to spend some good money. Why? because soon u will be looking into bigger and better...

Most people stair stepping when they first getting into saltwater. It is best to get the biggest tank you want and go from there.

The biggest tank I want and the biggest tank I need are 2 way different things ;) I'm keeping it simple as a learning experience before I invest in a larger tank(or just convert one of my freshwater). Also my RO/DI system is a drinking system. It's doesn't have much output so I would run into trouble with water changes on larger tanks.

I'm thinking of just using milk jugs to mix my saltwater. Easy, free, and storage easy.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I hear ya, I was in the same boat. I started out from one goldfish in a 2.5g to 75g reef tank. I regret not to go directly to 75g as many people told me. I end up wasting lots of money on tanks and equipments which I nolonger need on my 75g. I still got the other tanks as quarantine tank, sump, container for top off, and for my anemones.

Yeah I'm just reusing a tank.

Stopped at the LFS farthest from me and had a great experience. Nice selection, very clean tanks, cheapest live rock I've seen at $6.50 a pound and $2.50 for dry. That one was called Aquatic Marine. On to the next one!

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I go through the setup of my 10g pretty thoroughly in my thread in the nano reefs sub forum "operation clown goby rescue", as far as equipment I'm just using an ac30 with chemi pure elite and filter floss, couple power heads and a heater. Weekly 2g wcs (about 25%) keep water params in order, pretty simple honestly, only thing different than fw is adding some salt to the water and letting it mix overnight

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I go through the setup of my 10g pretty thoroughly in my thread in the nano reefs sub forum "operation clown goby rescue", as far as equipment I'm just using an ac30 with chemi pure elite and filter floss, couple power heads and a heater. Weekly 2g wcs (about 25%) keep water params in order, pretty simple honestly, only thing different than fw is adding some salt to the water and letting it mix overnight

Thanks for the input! I'm glad I'm hearing it's not as hard as some people make it out to be. When I actually started this hobby someone told me I had to let my tap water condition for 24 hours before adding to my tank. I did this for like 2 months before realizing I didn't need to. Lol funny story.

I can manage 2g a week that sounds awesome!

How much salt will I need to last a little while and is there a preferred type?

Definitely going to read your thread!

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I probably know the answer to this....

I'd freshwater I know there are some basically zero maintenance plants. Is there the same for corals? Easy peasy hardy ones I wouldn't have to worry about? I know I said I would wait on the coral but if there are some really hardy ones(I WILL be keeping up with weekly or x2 weekly water changes if necessary) I think I could manage it with some help. I really want this tank to thrive and impress.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Out of pure curiosity I asked the LFS guy.. "What is the easiest coral to grow?"

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429720431.200994.jpg

He pointed me to this tank. says with a decent light all these will grow fine. This LFS is one of the highest rates in the area and the prices show it. I take my info from you guys but is he right?

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Usually if the price tag is cheap, they are fairly hardy. If not then its a cheap learning experience.

Usually if the price tag is cheap, they are fairly hardy. If not then its a cheap learning experience.

I've read some softies and leathers can take a beating. Not that I intend to give them one..

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

So what's in that LFS tank?

Are those in the middle for 10 dollars each?

So what's in that LFS tank?

That's the bad part... They are not labeled. It's just "assorted corals" all the other tanks are labelled though. My luck

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I've read some softies and leathers can take a beating. Not that I intend to give them one..

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Most softies are really easy, all you need is a decent light and a reef grade salt. Depending on the light you get (I started mine with a decent par38 from reefkoi for $80) you could also look into some easy lps like acans, blastos, euphillia, and Duncan's. IMHO an lps/softy tank is about as easy as a low light planted, just different test kits really

Most softies are really easy, all you need is a decent light and a reef grade salt. Depending on the light you get (I started mine with a decent par38 from reefkoi for $80) you could also look into some easy lps like acans, blastos, euphillia, and Duncan's. IMHO an lps/softy tank is about as easy as a low light planted, just different test kits really

Thanks man! We'll definitely be looking those up. Maybe this tank won't be the nightmare I thought. Except for the price of reef salt anyways.. What brand do you use?

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429724619.859701.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429724644.543194.jpg

Picked these babies up. Pretty much same price as online without the wait or shipping.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I'm using Red Sea coral pro right now, but think I'm gonna start to switch to reef crystals by instant ocean because my closest lfs stopped carrying the RSCP. Really any reef salt will do, and they all have pros and cons. Reef crystals is generally the easiest to get as its carried by petco and petsmart. If your looking into corals though, id strongly recommend finding a good place to get ro/di water

I'm using Red Sea coral pro right now, but think I'm gonna start to switch to reef crystals by instant ocean because my closest lfs stopped carrying the RSCP. Really any reef salt will do, and they all have pros and cons. Reef crystals is generally the easiest to get as its carried by petco and petsmart. If your looking into corals though, id strongly recommend finding a good place to get ro/di water

If you didn't see it above I have a small RODI unit in my home used for drinking. I'm pretty sure I can pull off 2-3 gallons a week.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Back
Top Bottom