Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-30-2015, 07:09 PM   #191
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54seaweed View Post
I keep my tank at 80* with a salinity of 1.025
with shrimp you want to keep nitrates as low as possible
you cant have any kind of sudden swings temp salinity nitrates ammonia ph ect
I usually keep mine a tad cooler. Around 76-78. Salinity stays consistent at 1.025. Whatever you go with try to stay consistent. That's a major word in this hobby... Consistency.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:12 PM   #192
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImACoolguy View Post
Okay guys I'm headed to the LFS from work.

Need to know 2 things:

Ideal temp for the tank. Thinking like 78?
Ideal salinity. Thanking it's 1.024?

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

That temp and salinity will be fine.

I keep my 10G at 1.024 as well since evap on a small tank can be more drastic than on a larger tank.

If you're going for manual top-off, stick with a lower salinity.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 04-30-2015, 07:17 PM   #193
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCXGT View Post
That temp and salinity will be fine.

I keep my 10G at 1.024 as well since evap on a small tank can be more drastic than on a larger tank.

If you're going for manual top-off, stick with a lower salinity.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I was about to ask that. How do top offs work.... Sounds dumb but I know stability is key and don't want to screw it up

Caleb
Old 04-30-2015, 07:19 PM   #194
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleyjk View Post
My brain wants to badly, but my wallet disagrees
won't be long before petco's next $1 a gallon sale believe it starts mothers day week end

a lot of the stuff you need can be gotten on Craig's list for penny's on the dollar if you negotiate right

when I started my first tank it only cost me around $250
just don't ask what it cost to start up my 90g that figure would scare you
but I also did every thing new , I bought every thing over a three month span not to hurt my pocket so much , also was able to find most of my equipment online a lot cheaper than local pet stores

don't get discouraged just accumulate everything over time , that helps lighten the blow on your wallet , weather it takes 3 months or even a year
gives you time to learn everything you need to know to start a tank up correctly and most likely a lot more , just ask lots of questions
Old 04-30-2015, 07:29 PM   #195
Aquarium Advice Addict

Petcos $1/gallon sale is going on now I think. Closest one is 90 miles away anyhow. I have several tanks on hand as well. Its the lighting, testing supplies, and ro/di I don't have. I'll have a sw tank in time, just not right now.
Out of space any how. 4 fw tanks (165 gallons total) running in an apartment currently

Caleb, how much have you spent on this set up at this point in time?
Old 04-30-2015, 07:30 PM   #196
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImACoolguy View Post
I was about to ask that. How do top offs work.... Sounds dumb but I know stability is key and don't want to screw it up

Caleb
when your tank has evaporation all you need to do is add clean fresh ro/di water no salt as salt don't evaporate ,

the only time you need clean ro/di saltwater is when you do a water change
as your pulling out salt water from the tank ,this is different compared to evaporation
just be sure your salinity and temps are identical before adding clean saltwater to tank
Old 04-30-2015, 07:50 PM   #197
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ah yes! Shrimp are the best! In my old 34 Gallon, I had two Cleaners, A Fire Shrimp, and a Peppermint! They are a blast to watch.
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 07:50 PM   #198
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

If the water change process is slow, you don't need to even heat your saltwater once it is well mixed. I do my water changes through my ATO, which is a Tom's aqualifter, and I take out 1-2 gallons at a time and let it run while I go to do something else around the house. Simple repeat process that has made water change day very simple for me.
As for the temp of your tank, keep in mind how your house does in winter/summer. My house, for example, bakes in the sun all day long. This results in it being very hot inside, the tank got into the 90's several times while working everything out. Not healthy at all. Because of that, I have to run the AC all day long just to keep the heat in check.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 07:58 PM   #199
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
If the water change process is slow, you don't need to even heat your saltwater once it is well mixed. I do my water changes through my ATO, which is a Tom's aqualifter, and I take out 1-2 gallons at a time and let it run while I go to do something else around the house. Simple repeat process that has made water change day very simple for me.
As for the temp of your tank, keep in mind how your house does in winter/summer. My house, for example, bakes in the sun all day long. This results in it being very hot inside, the tank got into the 90's several times while working everything out. Not healthy at all. Because of that, I have to run the AC all day long just to keep the heat in check.

That's cool Hank. My house is pretty good at keeping a stable temperature. My mother is very "hot natured" so it does not get very hot in my house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsea View Post
Ah yes! Shrimp are the best! In my old 34 Gallon, I had two Cleaners, A Fire Shrimp, and a Peppermint! They are a blast to watch.

Cool! Thanks for joining in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54seaweed View Post
when your tank has evaporation all you need to do is add clean fresh ro/di water no salt as salt don't evaporate ,

the only time you need clean ro/di saltwater is when you do a water change
as your pulling out salt water from the tank ,this is different compared to evaporation
just be sure your salinity and temps are identical before adding clean saltwater to tank

Thanks for the input seaweed that clears up a ton of what I wondered

Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleyjk View Post
Petcos $1/gallon sale is going on now I think. Closest one is 90 miles away anyhow. I have several tanks on hand as well. Its the lighting, testing supplies, and ro/di I don't have. I'll have a sw tank in time, just not right now.
Out of space any how. 4 fw tanks (165 gallons total) running in an apartment currently

Caleb, how much have you spent on this set up at this point in time?

I've spent probably about $350. Lights and test kits being the big majority of that.

I got 8 pounds of live rock and 6 dry rock. Going to play around with it. The guy gave me a piece with "macro algae" growing on it and some species of sponge and said macro algae was good for the tank.

Should I clean the algae off or leave it?

Caleb
Old 04-30-2015, 08:07 PM   #200
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Clean off the glass. If you are still cycling, don't turn your lights on and you won't see much of anything grow. Then you can do your water change when you are done to bring the nitrates down.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salt

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com