Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 04-30-2015, 11:04 PM   #211
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
paul87's Avatar

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 4,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImACoolguy View Post
About the macro algae is it good? It came on some of the aquacultured and wasn't sure if I should have removed it..

This reef kit is confusing lol gonna have to sit down tommorow and try to figure it out


Caleb
Some of our can take over corals and spread pretty quick. Depends on what you have. Best to fix this issue now though. Are there different kinds or? Try to get some photos of what all you have, I can't really tell from that tank shot.
__________________

__________________
paul87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 11:53 PM   #212
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
ImACoolguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 7,954
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430448693.800426.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	192.6 KB
ID:	271378
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430448719.716426.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	195.3 KB
ID:	271379
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430448750.237567.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	171.8 KB
ID:	271380
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430448777.702088.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	170.3 KB
ID:	271381


Caleb
__________________

__________________
ImACoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 09:16 AM   #213
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Finntastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImACoolguy View Post
That looks like what I have in my tank which is fine. It's red slime algae you have to watch out for.
__________________
Finntastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:14 AM   #214
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
paul87's Avatar

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 4,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImACoolguy View Post
I would be to concerned about the red/purple ones units it's actually sprouting out something. The green hair algae can be scrubbed of and rinsed in RO water. I would pull as much of before hand. The other 2 green ones I see look like they could be types of caulerpa which can be invasive. I would start by pulling as much of as possible by hand/tweezers. It will probably be rooted pretty good so if you have some snips/bone cutters or something you could try to cut into the surface of the rock to remove all roots from the rock. Rinse it of when done. I had some Rick with it on before and it started to get out of hand. Once rooted out is hard to remove. You will find that out of you remove what you already have. Here is a page of macro algae IDs

https://www.reefcleaners.org/nuisance-algae-id-guide
__________________
paul87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:44 AM   #215
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 18,546
The caulerpa needs to go asap. I've seen too many tanks overrun with the stuff. My LFS had this issue and they had to tear the entire tank down and ditch the LR to get rid of the stuff.
I'd scrub the hair algae off as well.
The other green one is coined 'money plant'. It is a cool macro algae. Slow grower that consumes calcium to grow just like a coral.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 12:45 PM   #216
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
ImACoolguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 7,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul87 View Post
I would be to concerned about the red/purple ones units it's actually sprouting out something. The green hair algae can be scrubbed of and rinsed in RO water. I would pull as much of before hand. The other 2 green ones I see look like they could be types of caulerpa which can be invasive. I would start by pulling as much of as possible by hand/tweezers. It will probably be rooted pretty good so if you have some snips/bone cutters or something you could try to cut into the surface of the rock to remove all roots from the rock. Rinse it of when done. I had some Rick with it on before and it started to get out of hand. Once rooted out is hard to remove. You will find that out of you remove what you already have. Here is a page of macro algae IDs

https://www.reefcleaners.org/nuisance-algae-id-guide

OMG that's a long list of baddies 😐

This is first think on my list when I get home. I'll pull all the rock and scrub it down


Caleb
__________________
ImACoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 02:02 PM   #217
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 18,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImACoolguy View Post
OMG that's a long list of baddies 😐

This is first think on my list when I get home. I'll pull all the rock and scrub it down


Caleb
There are only two in there of any 'concern'. Pull the rock out with the caulerpa and hair algae, pull it out and scrub it down. Do a good job and don't worry about much else. Your tank isn't cycled yet but in the process of doing so. Just cut the lights out and you shouldn't see any additional algae growth through the cycle.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 05:30 PM   #218
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
ImACoolguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 7,954
Caleb getting salty!?! No way..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
There are only two in there of any 'concern'. Pull the rock out with the caulerpa and hair algae, pull it out and scrub it down. Do a good job and don't worry about much else. Your tank isn't cycled yet but in the process of doing so. Just cut the lights out and you shouldn't see any additional algae growth through the cycle.

Thanks Hank I overreacted some thinking I put some major no-no in my tank.

I am keeping lights off I just turned it on for a pic. I'll test the water tonight to see progress.

Oh and forgot to mention the LFS says they have a Duncan somewhere which is awesome because I really like it more than all the others.


Caleb
__________________
ImACoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 05:46 PM   #219
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 18,546
Duncans are great coral. Lots of flow, easy to keep, very forgiving. I loved them when I first started. I have a green/green and a purple/green in my tank right now. The g/g is at 50 heads at least count I think, it is getting huge. The other isn't doing too bad considering I got it as one head if I remember correctly...I accidentally killed a head when I upgraded to the mp40 and the flow killed it off.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 05:55 PM   #220
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
ImACoolguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 7,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Duncans are great coral. Lots of flow, easy to keep, very forgiving. I loved them when I first started. I have a green/green and a purple/green in my tank right now. The g/g is at 50 heads at least count I think, it is getting huge. The other isn't doing too bad considering I got it as one head if I remember correctly...I accidentally killed a head when I upgraded to the mp40 and the flow killed it off.

Will my one powerhead support it or do I need another?


Caleb
__________________

__________________
ImACoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
salt

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
getting a taste of the salty side :) dragonfisher33 Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 26 07-07-2013 11:03 AM
Getting tired of the salty side - all my stuff is sold malkore Midwest & the Dakotas 3 05-25-2006 10:33 AM
The Salty Cichlid Terry Cichlid Discussion 2 08-30-2003 05:18 AM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.