Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 05-01-2015, 06:07 PM   #221
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 18,550
What size tank again? How much GPH is the powerhead? I'm a bad person to ask that question to... I'm a flow nazi. I like pointing powerheads at one another for a chaotic flow and really max out in the GPH game. One MP40 should be enough for a 55 gallon tank...but I have two AND a koralia that I don't recall the GPH on.
__________________

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 06:09 PM   #222
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
ImACoolguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 7,954
No problem lol it's a 10g and I got the Hydor you recommended at 425gph


Caleb
__________________

__________________
ImACoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 06:13 PM   #223
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 18,550
Soft coral are 10-20x turnover where SPS is 30x or more.
So, in a 10 gallon tank you'd be looking for 100 gph on the low end of softies. That would make the 425 way over what you need. This will be helped by pointing it up and towards one of the sides of glass to create a more 'chaotic' flow pattern through the tank.

EDIT: This is all really rough though. Your sand and rock will cause much displacement in the tank, significantly lowering the amount of water in the tank. Either way, powerhead will be fine on flow.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 06:17 PM   #224
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
ImACoolguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 7,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Soft coral are 10-20x turnover where SPS is 30x or more.
So, in a 10 gallon tank you'd be looking for 100 gph on the low end of softies. That would make the 425 way over what you need. This will be helped by pointing it up and towards one of the sides of glass to create a more 'chaotic' flow pattern through the tank.

Awesome. I was going to say I got a cheapie 900gph in my 5 gal bucket for mixing. Now that's way overboard


Caleb
__________________
ImACoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 07:10 PM   #225
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Brookster123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Mass
Posts: 18,384
Caleb, this is an excellent thread! You've done quite the job here man! You should be proud! Doing it right from the get go always helps wish I could go back to the future like Marty sometimes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
I'm not really here... fell in the tank and my phone is just that smart
Brookster123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 07:44 PM   #226
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
ImACoolguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 7,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookster123 View Post
Caleb, this is an excellent thread! You've done quite the job here man! You should be proud! Doing it right from the get go always helps wish I could go back to the future like Marty sometimes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

And what are you doing here in the salty world??? Thank you! I hope it can one day help beginners like mean learn the basics and how to setup a nano tank. I love how I said college budget and have used half a weeks paycheck already :p


Caleb
__________________
ImACoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 07:58 AM   #227
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Brookster123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Mass
Posts: 18,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImACoolguy View Post
And what are you doing here in the salty world??? Thank you! I hope it can one day help beginners like mean learn the basics and how to setup a nano tank. I love how I said college budget and have used half a weeks paycheck already :p


Caleb
I lurk from time to time... maybe I want a sw tank someday?? Never hurts to read up a bit beforehand

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
I'm not really here... fell in the tank and my phone is just that smart
Brookster123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 09:19 AM   #228
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Finntastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookster123 View Post
I lurk from time to time... maybe I want a sw tank someday?? Never hurts to read up a bit beforehand

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
I agree.
__________________
Finntastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 10:17 AM   #229
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
paul87's Avatar

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 4,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookster123 View Post
I lurk from time to time... maybe I want a sw tank someday?? Never hurts to read up a bit beforehand

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
What better time than now Brookster? Reading up before hand is always recommended. You know we are here to help if you did to get salty.Your freshwater tanks are beautiful. I'm sure your capable of a really nice SW tank.
__________________
paul87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 12:41 PM   #230
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
ImACoolguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 7,954
Who forgot to mention the sour smell of a rotting shrimp in my room. Yuck! Putting up with it though. Life got in the way last night so tonight I'm scrubbing the rocks and testing the water.


Caleb
__________________

__________________
ImACoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
salt

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
getting a taste of the salty side :) dragonfisher33 Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 26 07-07-2013 11:03 AM
Getting tired of the salty side - all my stuff is sold malkore Midwest & the Dakotas 3 05-25-2006 10:33 AM
The Salty Cichlid Terry Cichlid Discussion 2 08-30-2003 05:18 AM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.