Caleb getting salty!?! No way..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So happy to see my peppermint is overcoming his fears! He went full throttle hopping around for food and the clown respected him for it and left him alone.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1435625838.890690.jpg
I need to stop going to the LFS..
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1435625897.460533.jpg
Believe this is a white star polyp.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1435625940.816772.jpg

Caleb

Update

Everyone is doing good. I have 2 MIA hermits I assume have hidden in a new shell or are molting somewhere because I have 2 empty shells.

I have one hermit with a confirmed new shell I put in there and he seems to enjoy it.

All corals are looking good except the Kenya tree... It's still closed up like when I first got it which I'm not sure I understand because my other corals are fully extended and colored up nicely.

I moved the believed war coral frag up to the live rock area and for a stony it looks like it's enjoying it there more.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1435948014.720572.jpg

It's also water change day!

Caleb

I'm not going to say my zebra hermit is dead because I found a body because of my past experiences with molts lol if I don't see him soon I might call him dead.

Will clowns eat a hermit?

Caleb

I'm not going to say my zebra hermit is dead because I found a body because of my past experiences with molts lol if I don't see him soon I might call him dead.

Will clowns eat a hermit?

Caleb

Nope. A clown trigger will ; )

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G800A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

As far as I know you don't have any fish that week eat a hermit. However, done hermits will kill each other for their shells, especially different species.

Don't know about all clowns , but if my yellow banded maroon clowns see the opportunity they wouldn't hesitate going after a hermit or snail , especially if they were hungry , then again maroon clowns are one of the more aggressive of the species in the clown family , in layman's terms there monsters , :D

As far as I know you don't have any fish that week eat a hermit. However, done hermits will kill each other for their shells, especially different species.

Thank you kind Sir's. I think this is probably the culprit if not a molt^^

On the bright side, one of the scarlet renovated a shell I put in there. Something special about seeing them in a shell you hand picked and found years ago without any intention of it being a home for a crab again.

Caleb

Well good news the Kenya tree finally opened back up.

Bad news is no sign of the lovely hermit yet.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1436044084.112044.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1436044107.896971.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1436044136.081749.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1436044154.200167.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1436044210.322398.jpg

Caleb

Thank you kind Sir's. I think this is probably the culprit if not a molt^^

On the bright side, one of the scarlet renovated a shell I put in there. Something special about seeing them in a shell you hand picked and found years ago without any intention of it being a home for a crab again.

Caleb

The scarlets are some of the 'friendliest' hermits IME. My Halloween seems harmless as well but he is still kinda small. My biggest scarlet actually was picking on him once that I seen, with no luck though. The Halloweens do get big however but I love mine.

Came in to feed today and think I caught my murderer red handed! My Cerith snail was on top of one of my scarlet hermits almost like he was trying to pull him out of the shell!

Are they known to do this???

Caleb

Came in to feed today and think I caught my murderer red handed! My Cerith snail was on top of one of my scarlet hermits almost like he was trying to pull him out of the shell!

Are they known to do this???

Caleb

It's an opportunistic feeder.

The main reason it's a part of your CUC..

It was probably doing it's job trying to mop up a dead or dying body.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It's an opportunistic feeder.

The main reason it's a part of your CUC..

It was probably doing it's job trying to mop up a dead or dying body.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
^This^.
Hermits are pest IMO but we do need to figure out why they are dying?

^This^.
Hermits are pest IMO but we do need to figure out why they are dying?

I feed plenty trust me everyone gets some though the hermits are shy and I suspect scavenge at night. Weekly water changes and parameters in check. Corals are happy and extended if that says something.

Caleb

Yea I agree with sniper hawk and I've never seen shy hermits they always seem really curious

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G800A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The snails, especially ceriths, will not kill any hermit. They week eat a dead one. Hermits on the other hand week kill a snail for food and a new home. Nothing to worry about with a small on a hermit. They are all very sensitive to fluctuations in salinity.

The snails, especially ceriths, will not kill any hermit. They week eat a dead one. Hermits on the other hand week kill a snail for food and a new home. Nothing to worry about with a small on a hermit. They are all very sensitive to fluctuations in salinity.

Salinity hasn't changed from 1.025 so I guess the case file is Still open for the mysterious hermit deaths. :(

Everyone else is doing splendid!

Caleb

a lot of times you will get deaths with hermits they are caught in bulk and some just have harder times surviving as they are most likely almost smothered at the bottom , when I get bulk hermits I encounter a 3 to 1 death rate , thats why they always try to send more than you order to cover that , same thing with snails

a lot of times you will get deaths with hermits they are caught in bulk and some just have harder times surviving as they are most likely almost smothered at the bottom , when I get bulk hermits I encounter a 3 to 1 death rate , thats why they always try to send more than you order to cover that , same thing with snails

So I guess I just need a lot more hermits :D

Caleb

Sorry about all those typos. Hopefully you deciphered what I was saying. It's this blasted spell check on my dumb phone. Seaweed is right, poor little dude get tossed around and piled up on each other like a bucket of gravel. Blue legs (not as bad) and the standard red legs will kill each other off and snails more so than some such as the zebras and scarlets. I wouldn't get the red leg at all, and if I got blue would only get the dwarf. Scarlets are always my recommendation. Any hermit can choose to be 'crabby' though. :)

Back
Top Bottom