Caleb getting salty!?! No way..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Saturday my father is helping me move the 45g to my brothers room which gives me a bunch of space for my 10g. Going to go hunting for a nice stand to put it on that will blend with a room. While holding upwards 200 pounds to be safe.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Is this a decent sand to use? It's cheaper than most of the 20 pound bags..
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429909700.925826.jpg

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Saw the shipping price on that after I posted ? I like Carib Sea for my freshwater so I like this one.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429910499.340197.jpg

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Too bad it isn't eligable for Prime... But, I used Caribsea in both of my tanks. It does the job. I'm sure there is price saving somewhere, like using pool filter sand, but I didn't go that route.

Too bad it isn't eligable for Prime... But, I used Caribsea in both of my tanks. It does the job. I'm sure there is price saving somewhere, like using pool filter sand, but I didn't go that route.

In this hobby I'm really sketchy of even used tanks lol. Glad to hear you have had success with it.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

You can use any type of used equipment if you are careful. The ONLY thing I never recommend reusing in any manner is sand. So much uneaten food and poop gets caught up in there I really believe you can stir all day long and all the rinsing in the world won't save it from causing an issue down the road.
Used rock can easily be rinsed off, in comparison. Same with any used equipment and tanks. Bleach and lots of water to rinse away and dilute.

Good to hear. My reef salt and refractometer arrived today!

I've seen a lot of stuff about keeping saltwater moving with powerheads and stuff.

Is it not okay if I got ahead and start making up some in milk jugs for when the tank is ready?

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I have no input on being fine in jugs or not, but I'd just buy a 5g bucket and lid. Cheap. Take up less space than a bunch of jugs too

If it was me, I'd worry about that when the tank was ready to go. I'd get all my rock in, then put in my sand, then start filling it up. This can be your one and only time you can mix the salt in the tank itself, so you have that one lazy time you can get away with.

I have no input on being fine in jugs or not, but I'd just buy a 5g bucket and lid. Cheap. Take up less space than a bunch of jugs too

I have one 5g bucket but it doesn't even have a lid lol. We go through a lot of milk in my house so jugs are plentiful. Just an idea.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

The trick is getting salt that already comes in that bucket and you reuse them. Now I have buckets and buckets. Have one for only old water, one for new water, one to throw unwanted pests or algae into (aka trash can)...then you can simply order the stuff in bulk that comes in a box and bags to save even more at times.

The trick is getting salt that already comes in that bucket and you reuse them. Now I have buckets and buckets. Have one for only old water, one for new water, one to throw unwanted pests or algae into (aka trash can)...then you can simply order the stuff in bulk that comes in a box and bags to save even more at times.

I just have a bag of reef salt but I'll remember the bucket next time when I get low. :)

What happens if saltwater is stagnant in a jug?

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Ohh I see. That's why powerheads and stuff are used. I might need to find a spare heater and a 5g bucket then.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

That is stuff you can figure out later on when you are perfecting how you do things and isn't that big of a deal right away. When I didn't have any extra powerheads, I simply used a wooden spoon from my kitchen to stir my water up. I would do it on my days off and would stir it any time I would pass the bucket. I still have this spoon with my current reef to this day, though used to stir the bottom from fear of unmixed salt and to hold the tube from my ATO in the bucket as it pushes the freshly mixed water into the tank during water changes.

Getting another small Eheim Jäger heater and cheap powerhead. Going to use for a 5g bucket that's going to be only for premixed. Lots of stuff coming on Monday.

Equipment list:

SW test kit- Monday
Hydor powerhead- arrived
Tank heater- arrived
Aquaclear HOB- arrived
Reef salt- arrived
Sand- should be Monday
Lighting- Monday. Need to work on a suspension system.
Refractometer- learned how to use it last night!
Live rock- whenever I get the tank back and can start setting up.
Thermometer- Monday

As far as the HOB goes what should I run besides the filter pad?
I have some Purigen.
Carbon?
Might use a dish scrubber as media. Cheap and simple.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Looks like you are off to a good start and I see Hank has been helping you. I Just skimmed through but what are you going to use for lighting?

Looks like you are off to a good start and I see Hank has been helping you. I Just skimmed through but what are you going to use for lighting?

Hey Paul! Welcome aboard :) I'm getting a TaoTronics 165w dimmable LED. Still working on how I'm gonna hang it up above the tank :D

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Back
Top Bottom