Caleb getting salty!?! No way..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pom Pom Crab or Halloween Hermit Crab. And I still vote for the Yellow Stripe Clingfish.

The Halloweens get big for a hermit. I questioned owning one in my 40 breeder. Mine is still small, but equal to my almost full grown scarlets. The pom poms and porcelains are cool though. I enjoy my porcelain crab. He hangs out in my blue symposium 24/7 filtering the water column with his fans. The bumble bee shrimp are like harlequins which feed on echinoderms (starfish). So they can become pricey to feed.

The Halloweens get big for a hermit. I questioned owning one in my 40 breeder. Mine is still small, but equal to my almost full grown scarlets. The pom poms and porcelains are cool though. I enjoy my porcelain crab. He hangs out in my blue symposium 24/7 filtering the water column with his fans. The bumble bee shrimp are like harlequins which feed on echinoderms (starfish). So they can become pricey to feed.

Thanks for the input Finn and Paul. I didn't know that about the bumble bee.. Bummer lol.

I really like the Pom Pom crab but I read that it's little "anemones" can sting my fish and coral. How true is this?

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Thanks for the input Finn and Paul. I didn't know that about the bumble bee.. Bummer lol.

I really like the Pom Pom crab but I read that it's little "anemones" can sting my fish and coral. How true is this?

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS
Yes, any anemone can sting coral. I'm not sure if I would worry too much about is singing fish though. Any fish in their right mind would probably steer clear of a crab wielding duel anemones. LOL. I really don't know much about these crabs personally but they are pretty cool looking. You could always do a shrimp like a cleaner or fire shrimp. If you want a safe crab (for a crab anyways as they are ask opportunistic feeders) check out the strawberry crabs and porcelain crabs. There are different color variations of the porcelains too.

And most likely the coral would be fine because the anemones are so small.

Yea probably. I wouldn't stress it. They are pretty cool looking just never seen them available from who I deal with.

LA- "Caution should be used when adding this crab to a reef aquarium as the anemones could sting sessile invertebrates and corals. The damage that could potentially be caused by these tiny anemones that come on each claw would be minimal due to their very tiny size."

You could always do a few of these depending on what fish you plan to keep as they are pretty small and can become a pricey snack. They are very interesting in looks and behavior.

Saltwater Invertebrates for Marine Reef Aquariums: Sexy Anemone Shrimp

A few people have recommended that porcelain crab to me. I'll have to see if my LFS could order one for me. Also I love the sexy shrimp I think it's hilarious to watch :D could I keep a cleaner and a sexy together?

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

To answer the questions you have. All this is from my experience. You will find very conflicting ideas on forums and in your research. Learn good tank husbandry and the rest is pretty easy IMO.

1. Filter- what's the best to use on a 10g tank? Not diving into sumps..
I have used a HOB (hang on back) marineland biowheel filter rated for 20 gallons with good success. Some say they will produce lots of nitrates. Hasn't been my experience, as long as you clean the filter of gunk that does build up over time. Toothbrush is your friend :)

2. I have a heater for the 10g tank. Need to check if it is also applicable to saltwater.
Is more than likely fine for saltwater. I would recommend one that has adjustable temp and about 50w higher as keeping the temp stable is easier with a heater that is a little more powerful. AKA if you have a 10g, 50 watt, consider 100 watt.

3. Powerhead- do I need one? Depends. I had a filter for a 20 gallon in my 10 gallon and that created enough water movement. Wouldn't hurt to get a small one for added movement if your filter isn't giving you enough to your liking. 1 nano power head should be all you need if you get one.

4. Mini skimmer? Do I need one for a tank this small? If it helps with filtration I'm willing to invest. No you don't need one on a tank this small. While skimmers do a great job at what they do, you will achieve just as good results with regular water changes. Now if you had a 30g or higher I would say yes.

5. Probably the most important- how do you Fishless cycle a saltwater tank? All you salty gurus probably know the best ways to do it! I drop a piece of raw shrimp in the tank and let it sit for a week then take it out. You can also dose ammonia to get it started as well, but the shrimp works just as well.

6. Doing white sand. It's leftover in the bag from a freshwater tank. Will this work or do I need a special sand? Thats a big debate. I bought a 20lb bag of live sand from Petco when I setup mine. It was like $22. I am a fan of live sand. Some are not. Personally your main bio filtration will come from your rock, not so much your sand. But for a small tank, a 1 time purchase of $22 to get going isn't much.

7. Live rock or dry rock? I'm clueless. My LFS sells live rock at about $8.99 a pound. Sounds a bit high but it's my only choice. I use dry rock. Main reason is you never know what you get with live rock. Dry rock only gets what you put in your tank, while live rock has anything that is on it, whether you want it or not. It will take time for your dry rock to become "live" though. Its a personal opinion and choice, but either is fine. 1/2lb per gallon is what I would put in. So about 5-7lbs. Remember rock displaces water so the more rock, the less water volume.

8. Lighting! No idea where to even start... Don't plan on corals till I get some major experience. Unlike the $5 freshwater plants I can test run, corals cost money :p - For starting out, I would get a small LED light. You can get LED lighted 10g hoods for not very much or just the light if you already have a hood. Once you get to a place where you want to do more, like corals, you can look into t5 or LEDs good for reefs.

9. I'm only think like a goby and shrimp. Any suggestions welcome but I want to start cycling before we start talking critters. - There are plenty of Gobys that would great for a 10 gallon. Just remember to have a hood and try to cover all open gaps. I had a diamond goby that supermaned out of my tank because I didn't have a small gap covered.

Water changes. This will be the most important part of your tank, mainly because it is a smaller tank. With rock and sand you will have around 8 gallons of water in there. Water parameters can get out of hand quick if this step is not done regularly. I would suggest a 20% water change weekly, or 50% every other. 2 gallons weekly, or 4 every other. And if you want a 50% weekly would be even better. You have two options. 1. Make it yourself, or 2. buy it from your LFS. It is easy to make, but you need to use RODI water. You can get a 50lb bag mix of Instant Ocean salt mix (purple bag) for around $20. 1/2 cup per gallon will give you a salinity of 1.022 to 1.023. Directions are on the bag.

It is easier to buy the water. Just is. Its already pre mixed up, you just heat it up to your tanks temp and go. My LFS charges $1 a gallon.

It will save you money to buy RODI water at your LFS (mine charges .25 cents a gallon) and mix it yourself. Just to give the math (Buying 50 gallons of saltwater at $1/gallon would be $50. Buying 50 gallons of RODI water would be 12.50+~$20 for the mix comes out to be ~$32.50. Just something to consider.

Not overfeeding, and regular water changes, and cleaning your filter (replacing cartridges too) and you shouldn't have a problem. Some will say 10 gallons are hard to keep. I didn't think so, as I started many years ago with a 10 gallon. Good tank husbandry and you will be fine.

Pretty good answers Krely. I personally like the surprise of live rock. You can bring so many things into your system that would normally never get added like mini brittle starts, different types of worms and pods, coralline algae and all kinds of good hitchhikers. But you can also get the bad like a rogue mantis shrimp! With a tank this size any problem should be able to be taken care of. I would do the love rock, it's only a few pounds but completely up to you. If going with the love rock I would use dry sand. It's alot cheaper and not full of phosphates. The rock will see it over time. I would recommend aragonite sand. If you want a goby and shrimp pair you will want it at least a few inches deep do they can burrow. As far as lighting.... You're gonna want coral! ;) I would stick with what you have and make the one time purchase of some reef capable LEDs when you do decide to get coral. They are cheap on eBay. I agree with the weekly water change being your best friend. It's easy to mix yourself. Oh, and I'm not sure about the sexy shrimp and cleaner shrimp compatibility. Just remember that sexy shrimp can become a meal to some inhabitants.

Thanks guys so you don't have to go back and read this whole thread here is the rundown:

Aquaclear 30 HOB

Eheim Jäger 50 watt submersible heater

Hydor powerhead rated for 425gph

About 12 pounds of aragonite dry sand

Plan on about 10-12 pounds of LR/DR mix. Maybe a 5:5 or 6:6 ratio for each.

Most likely getting my rock Thursday night after work.

I plan on *ATTEMPTING* my first salt batch in the 5g buckets tonight. running a heater and a powerhead in the buckets.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I plan on *ATTEMPTING* my first salt batch in the 5g buckets tonight. running a heater and a powerhead in the buckets.

Sent via TARDIS

This is why you use a fast mixing salt!

None of this overnight crap...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

This is why you use a fast mixing salt!

None of this overnight crap...

Where may I find this fast mixing reef salt? Lol

Oh and bless you whoever it was told me about the mag float. I love it to death and cleaned all my tanks today with it!

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Oh and bless you whoever it was told me about the mag float. I love it to death and cleaned all my tanks today with it!

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I believe that was Carey. They are wonderful. Not sure about this fast mixing salt. ??

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Tropic Marin Pro Reef and Red Sea Coral Pro are fantastically fast.

I use Red Sea CP, mix for about 1/2 an hour and heat for 2 hours.

Tropic Marin is a similar deal.

They're amazing.

Tropic Marin Pro Reef and Red Sea Coral Pro are fantastically fast.

I use Red Sea CP, mix for about 1/2 an hour and heat for 2 hours.

Tropic Marin is a similar deal.

They're amazing.

Going to check that out. Though waiting 24 hours doesn't bother me.

Done some in depth reading on shrimp and found a compatibility chart. According to that sexy shrimp and cleaner shrimp are completely compatible in a nano reef :)

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Going to check that out. Though waiting 24 hours doesn't bother me.

Done some in depth reading on shrimp and found a compatibility chart. According to that sexy shrimp and cleaner shrimp are completely compatible in a nano reef :)

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS
Well there you go! The cleaner shrimp will actually clean your hang when you have it in the tank. The one I used to have would clean my cuticles and it was a weird feeling. ;)

Well there you go! The cleaner shrimp will actually clean your hang when you have it in the tank. The one I used to have would clean my cuticles and it was a weird feeling. ;)

I read that! Honestly I can wait to try that ?

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Almost any salt will mix thoroughly after a few hours. Some people wait overnight some don not. I use reef crystals and if push comes to shove I can have a batch ready in 20 minutes. I prefer to let it sit a few hours but there have been times when i needed salted water asap, you want to be prepared in case you do need it quick. I have used a few other salts and while i like red sea for it's element content I do not like how it left residue in my mixing garbage can. lol

And yep, a mag float is like a necessity, at least to me. lol

As far as shrimp go by the way, they are all pretty good together except for coral banded shrimp, they can become nasty and kinda large. But yep, i have kept peppermints, cleaners and fire shrimp all together with no issues. A fire shrimp is another great idea, they are sooo red they stand out quite a bit. :)
I personally have neve4r had any issues with emerald crabs either, I love how they do their little dance on the front glass, it's awesome. But porcelain crabs are cool too. You might find sexy shrimp too tiny really to get much enjoyment out of, unless you don't have much going on in the tank. they are tiny! Nad for the record they do better in odd numbered groups for whatever reason. Go figure. hehe

Back
Top Bottom