Caleb getting salty!?! No way..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yea mantis shrimp don't play well with others, hopefully he wasn't aware he had the mantis shrimp. They are extremely finicky eaters and most do not eat right away. You would need to make sure the fish ate before purchase. Most eat pods and rotifers. The feeding habits is where the "expert" comes in. They are also very small and slender and can easily slip through overflow boxes, powerheads, and anywhere else for matter. They are hardy if you get one eating and is a peaceful tank (no bullies). I wouldn't recommend it as a first saltwater fish for sure. They do great in seahorse and pipefish tanks though, which is all "expert" as well. They are not super likely to jump but they do cling on to stuff.

My friend didn't know he had the mantis shrimp at the time. When he realized he had mantis shrimp he tried to get rid of them. When he finally got them all out it was a grand total of nine shrimp caught (mostly peacocks but there were two black mantis shrimp as well) and 5 fish gone including a 4" Diamond goby all were mantis food. Now we tease each other about his mantis shrimp infestation and my bristleworm infestation.

WOW! That is one pretty fish! That's all I can say... Are they hard to keep?

Edit: I've come to the realization after being in this hobby for a good bit that I want fish I can come home and see or will greet me at the front. I gave away my Raphael catfish because he hid 24/7, very pretty fish just not my type.

so if it is very shy and hides a lot I don't really want it :p and I knew ocellaris were pretty active which is why I asked.
Caleb

There are multiple types of clownfish that would do well in your tank that range in prices. My favorites are the pink skunk clown and the galaxy clown.

Yea mantis shrimp don't play well with others, hopefully he wasn't aware he had the mantis shrimp. They are extremely finicky eaters and most do not eat right away. You would need to make sure the fish ate before purchase. Most eat pods and rotifers. The feeding habits is where the "expert" comes in. They are also very small and slender and can easily slip through overflow boxes, powerheads, and anywhere else for matter. They are hardy if you get one eating and is a peaceful tank (no bullies). I wouldn't recommend it as a first saltwater fish for sure. They do great in seahorse and pipefish tanks though, which is all "expert" as well. They are not super likely to jump but they do cling on to stuff.

Also, I have heard from multiple sources that clingfish will eat reef "bugs" and mystis shrimp.

My friend didn't know he had the mantis shrimp at the time. When he realized he had mantis shrimp he tried to get rid of them. When he finally got them all out it was a grand total of nine shrimp caught (mostly peacocks but there were two black mantis shrimp as well) and 5 fish gone including a 4" Diamond goby all were mantis food. Now we tease each other about his mantis shrimp infestation and my bristleworm infestation.

Man, that is a lot of mantis shrimp to just find. The peacocks sell for pretty good. They are some of the coolest shrimp there are and phenomenal predators. Did you know they have the some of the best eye sight on the planet?
Check this out. They are truly fascinating.
Mantis shrimp have the world's best eyes – but why?

Well sorta an update.

Cycle is bopping along.

Finally saw my buddy at the LFS. Said he was gone at a reef convention and spent $700 on some Zoas!!! I can't remember the name but he said he paid about $200 a head. They were beautiful though. He said he could hook me up with some frags sometime of some of his established corals.

He also recommended putting green star polyps on the back wall instead of the rock. He said it will sorta carpet the glass. Any ideas on this?

He also suggested getting a rock flower anemone. Said it's harmless and pretty and showed me his. Looked like his sexy shrimp loved it!

Caleb

Rock flowers are great anemone.
But when it comes to the GSP on the back glass...nothing that I would want to do. That could be room for another SPS if one wanted.

Rock flowers are great anemone.
But when it comes to the GSP on the back glass...nothing that I would want to do. That could be room for another SPS if one wanted.

Thanks for the input Hank. Always wanted an anemone :) if I got an ocellaris would he host it or is it not the right type of anemone?

Either way I'll be looking into them and see if LFS has/can get one.

Caleb

Most likely no, as they would want to stick towards the bubble tips...but then again it isn't much about duncans or other things that clowns pretend are anemones...

My clown just my trachy coral and I have a small BTA. Its a possibility a clown will host anything, buy I wouldn't count on it. I do know the Mini-Maxi nems don't get as big as rock flowers do. There are some nice ones of both.

Update to the parameters:

pH: 8.0

Ammonia: 0.50ppm

Nitrite: 5.0ppm

Nitrate: 40ppm

Phosphate: 2.0ppm

Caleb

Last edited:
Your parameters are not ready for anything yet, as far as clown fish the yellow clown by far the best and easiest to host anemone. (Forgot name of clown)

Sent from my SM-N910T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
Your parameters are not really for anything yet, as far as clown fish the yellow clown by far the best and easiest to host anemone. (Forgot name of clown)

Sent from my SM-N910T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm just keeping track of my cycle :)

Caleb

Quietly following with thoughts of a 20L salt going through my mind...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Forgot to ask, my dad brought me a piece of coral from me uncle. Said its from Fiji. It's been all dried out and I washed it off before adding to the tank. Is it okay or should I remove it?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431420232.850634.jpg

Caleb

Forgot to ask, my dad brought me a piece of coral from me uncle. Said its from Fiji. It's been all dried out and I washed it off before adding to the tank. Is it okay or should I remove it?

View attachment 272154

Caleb

Should be just fine as long as there isn't any soap or anything in it. How is the waiting game going for you? Getting anxious yet? :)

He forgets to mention that I can smell the shrimp to in my room across the hallway ._.

-Weston --Sent Via The Space Time Continuum--

View attachment 272154

Caleb

All dead coral is is rock. It is not only the foundation for reefs around the world but will be for your tank as well. It is simply one piece towards meeting your 1 lbs per gallon goal.

Should be just fine as long as there isn't any soap or anything in it. How is the waiting game going for you? Getting anxious yet? :)

Nitrites are here! Getting closer! And it was just washed with tap water to clean any dust or stuff off.

He forgets to mention that I can smell the shrimp to in my room across the hallway ._.

-Weston --Sent Via The Space Time Continuum--

Oh hush you. It's not noticeable anymore.

All dead coral is is rock. It is not only the foundation for reefs around the world but will be for your tank as well. It is simply one piece towards meeting your 1 lbs per gallon goal.

I think I'm actually at around 12 pounds. :)

My mom asked me yesterday what I was going to put in it and I said "maybe a nemo" and she was like "YES I LOVE NEMO!!"

This behavior is unheard of from my mother. She usually is just like "cool another fish whatever"

Glad to see one parent is excited.

Caleb

Nitrites are here! Getting closer! And it was just washed with tap water to clean any dust or stuff off.

Oh hush you. It's not noticeable anymore.

I think I'm actually at around 12 pounds. :)

My mom asked me yesterday what I was going to put in it and I said "maybe a nemo" and she was like "YES I LOVE NEMO!!"

This behavior is unheard of from my mother. She usually is just like "cool another fish whatever"

Glad to see one parent is excited.

Caleb

Funny story, I get wildly irritated when I hear people refer to clown fish as "nemo fish". It's amphiprion ocellaris, goshdangit! (especially annoying when the fish they're calling a "nemo" is not even a true ocellaris)

Good to see this tank is still coming along :) Can't wait to see it all finished.

Back
Top Bottom