camel shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmmiller

Aquarium Advice Regular
My tank is currently fishless due to ick(they are all in qt). I got a camel shrimp so that I could have some life in my tank. My question is what do they eat? There are no fish in the tank so there wont be any left overs so what should I do to feed the shrimp?-thanks

The same thing you fed the fish would be fine. It will also help maintain the bacterial levels while the fish are in the QT and the tank is fallow. Feed less than normal a few times a week.

Cheers
Steve

Buddy of mine just bought one of these. He just has some live rock, blue leg hermits, a damsel, and a couple turbo snails. Does he have anything to worry about?

I remember I bought a few camel shrimp a few years back. I had no idea what I was doing. Anyways I had some normal hermit crabs that decided to eat the camel shrimp.

Camel shrimp shouldn't be a concern to other mobile inverts. Mainly corals and the like...

Cheers
Steve

Not true... they're much too small and skiddish. Arrow crabs and CBS would be more a concern for that. Even then it's extremely rare and usually an unhealthy fish to begin with.

Cheers
Steve

He took the shrimp back today. After more examination I think it was actually a peppermint shrimp.

But he got the arrow crab. It is an odd creature to say the least. Hopefully it will not get to large because he is in a 10 gallon for now.

Arrow crabs do get to a decent size. Wether or not it will become an issue will depend on what it's housed with. A 10 gallon unto itself is not to small though.

Cheers
Steve

He has about 8lbs of rock, 6 blue leg hermits, 2 turbo snails, and 1 small yellow tail damsel. That is about it.

Crazy looking crab though.

It might decide to go fishing one day but other than that is looks fine.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom