Can a fish-only tank be set up without live rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

20 20

Aquarium Advice Freak
If so, what type of 'dead' rock could/should be used for decoration? What kind of filtration system's are ok for this type of setup, is a sump required, or would a canister filter suffice?

Yes it can, however, I do not recommend any SW tank be without LR. It is, by far, the best biological filtration media available. It can be pretty exspensive in the begining so a lot of people use a mixture of LR and base rock. Eventually, the LR will seed the base rock and it ill all be alive. Two sites for you...
www.liverocks.com for the best aqua-cultured LR around
www.hirocks.com for very nice base rock

Thanks for the reply! About how much live rock would be sufficient for a 120 gallon tank?

Some suggest 2lbs per gallon, but anywhere between 1 and 2 is good!

I have a 29 gallon with approx. 43lbs right now ... I want to add about 10 more though!

Dang. If I were to buy 80 pounds of the base live rock from there, and 40 pounds of the Keys live rock, it would cost me almost $640!!! 8O

20 20 - no one claimed the SW hobby was cheap :)

I'd get some keyes rock from liverocks.com and then look locally for dead/base rock, or try hirocks.com

malkore said:
20 20 - no one claimed the SW hobby was cheap :)

I knew that, and I thought I was prepared for the sticker shock... :wink:

Anyway, if I get 120 lbs from Hirock, and 40 lbs live from liverocks.com the cost is down to around $442. Better, eh?

Ok, I'm sold on LR, if and when I get the money, will my standard 40 watt flourecsent light provide enough light for my 75 gal to support LR (no intention to keep corals)

Also, would the magnum 350 and the emperor 400 still be wise to use if I replaced it with sufficient LR? Or would that hamper the LR

Back
Top Bottom