Can anyone help me with SLOW coraline algae growth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flyingfish 2626

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55 gallon tank with 65# of live rock currently. I bought 20# from my LFS that has lots of coraline algae already on it and 45# of Fuji that I bought from Drs Foster. The tank has been going since July 1 of this year. I am using a wet dry filter with a Octopus 100F skimmer and have a Nova T5 216 watt light. The problem I am having is that I thought I would have much more coraline algae growth than what I currently have. Any suggestions? Here are my water parimeters. I am using Instant ocean salt mixed with RO water at 1.023-1.024 and keep the light on for 8 hours a day. Hope I didnt forget anything.
KH-10
High range PH- 7.8 checked at 11:00 AM before lights came on
Amonia-0
Nitrate-0
Nitite-0
phosphate-0
calcium 400
temp-74
I have used Purple up before, about 2 capfulls per week. My LFS told me today that my High range PH is low (should be 8.3) and they sold me some Seachem Marine buffer. Should I use it? I know this tank should be more purple than it is, please help!

I believe the main three when it comes to coralline is Alk, calcium and magnesium. Also your temp is a little on the cool side. I would suggest bumping you heater up to 78. That has nothing to do with the coralline though. Get us a mag reading if possible. Also how often are you doing PWC`s?

Your PH should be 8.2 (your LFS is right). Your temp is too low- 78 is more like it and your salinity should be 1.024-1.025 (the ocean is 1.026). Get those levels in check and you'll have nice coraline within 2 months. At least your calcium is good. Probably the Purple up.

I do a 10% water change once a week. Right now I dont have a magnesium tester, will have to get one this week. I am checking my temp in the sump. Is this the correct place or should I move thermometer into the tank?

I have mine in the tank. I dont know if it really matters but I want to know what`s going on in the tank.

I'm so glad this issue came up. I have a 140 sw, was set up in June. I have had good coraline growth all over my tank, everything is turning purple.
BUT! in the last 2 weeks I have noticed some of the coraline spots are either turning brownish/green or have something on them. Do I have alge growing on the coraline? My alk. is 8.2 and cal. is 340. I have been adding, (B-Ionic) calcium and alkalinity system. This has only raised the cal. from 320 to 340. I thought it should be higher. Is this all normal?

I'm thinking your coraline dieing off due to low calcium. When I started my tank, and before I was watching my ca/alk levels, the coraline starting dieing when my Ca dipped below 340. Once the coraline starts to take hold, it can suck up a bit of calcium out of the water and your levels will drop.

B-Ionic just maintains existing calcium/alk levels. It's best to raise your Calcium levels with something like TurboCalcium, and then figure out what amount of 2-part solution you need to use to maintain that level. I currently boost my Reef Crystals up to 400-420 ppm and then use 20ml of C-Balance (in a 46g tank) each morning.

Here's a good article for keeping your ca/alk levels balanced as you adjust things up:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm

If I want some good coraline growth, I add 2 - 3 teaspoons of kalkwasser to the auto top off bucket for a couple weeks. That really sends the coraline into high gear. As pointed out, your alk and Ca (mg of course) all need to be in good shape however. Kalk is really made for maint not raising params. I shoot for 8 dkh and about 380 to 400ppm on Ca, but everyone has their theory...

GL!!

I think everyone has pretty much nailed it down. Raise your PH to 8.2ish. Mine hovers around 8 and I don't mind that. I also supplement my CA but I have a heavy load of SPS CA hungry corals in my system. My CA levels are usually around 450. Flow, lighting, filtration and what you have in your system consuming CA makes all the difference in how well your coraline will grow. Personally I'm not as concerned about everything being purple in my tank. When I first started out with my 72 EVERYTHING was purple including my power heads, after I started adding SPS corals to my system the coraline dropped off as the SPS grew.

As long as you keep your parameters at the optimum you should see your coraline growing but keep in mind if you start adding CA demanding corals they are going to consume that CA and your coraline will decline or stop growing.

Both are too low. Alk should be closer to 10 dKH and ca 420ppm. Did you test magnesium? What brand salt do you use?
Sorry it me awhile to get back. I had my magnesium tested and it was 1200 and cal. was up a little to 380. I'm thinking this is to low. I was told by LFS to raise the mag. and then my cal. at that time I start just mantaining levels. Sounds like a plan, but is a good one? And how high do I want to raise the levels?

Your Mag should be about 3x your CA levels.

Unless you have a high load of SPS corals in your tank I wouldn't increase your numbers right now. As the demand on CA increases then you can look at upping those numbers.

as far as the ph goes, I dont believe anyone mentioned this yet but you said you checked it right before the lights came on. Your reading will generally be a little low at that time so I would check it right before your lights go out, you will get a better reading at that time. As far as everything else it sounds like everyone hit the important stuff to make your coraline grow.

Thanks everyone for all the info! I feel alot more comfortable about what I'm doing. I'm sure there will be some other problems come up, so you will probably be hearing from me again.

Also be advised be careful what you wish for. Long time ago I had the same problem. Now I just look at all the coralline on the glass and equipment and shake my head. LOL

Back
Top Bottom