Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-10-2005, 09:45 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Can anyone recommend a good Magnetic Algae Scraper

I have a 40 Gallon Glass Breeder tank...and I have been using a Mag Float Magnetic Algae Scraper since I set it up 4 months ago. I now have some hard green aglae on the glass that the Mag Float will not scrape off.

I have seen some VERY pricey Magnetic Algae scrapers....but do I need to spend that much money??

Does anyone have any recommendations for a reasonably priced algae scraper that would appropriately matched in size with my 40 Gallon SW tank

Thanks,

WC

40 Gallon Breeder Salt Water: 4 inch DSB (2/3 Agaramax & 1/3 Sea Flor), Bak Pak 2R Skimmer w/ BBX, 2 x JBJ PHs, Coralife Lunar Aqualight (2x96w), 30lb Base Rock and 40lbs of Live Rock.
Inhabitants: Purple Firefish, Pygmy Angel, Lawmower Blenny, 2 Cleaner Shrimp, 1 Peppermint Shrimp, Pistol Shrimp(HH), 1 Emerald Crabs, 3 Porcelin Crabs(HH), varying amounts and varieties of hermit and snails.

3 Gallon Eclipse:
1 Goldfish (won free at a fair...cost $50 in equipment)
WhiteCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 09:51 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
I haven't found any magnetic cleaner that will remove the hard algae. I use a Kent Pro Scrape to remove the hard green algae and coraline from the front glass. They are not expensive, have replaceable blades, and work very well.

Old 04-10-2005, 10:22 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I use the kent pro scraper also. Works well for me.
Old 04-10-2005, 10:12 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
I would suggest going 1 size larger on the magfloat than is suggested for your size tank or glass thickness. This will help alot. For the hard algae deposits nothing beets the kent scraper thats been described. For best results get the one marked for glass tanks. Hold the scraper at a very low angle maybe 25* to the glass and the algae will come off lickly split.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 10:27 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I like the kent scraper also, but nothing beats a steady hand and a razor blade. You can shave the glass clean.
Old 04-10-2005, 11:14 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to XXFirefighter Send a message via Yahoo to XXFirefighter
Quote:
Originally Posted by malkore
I like the kent scraper also, but nothing beats a steady hand and a razor blade. You can shave the glass clean.
Exactly...
And Wally WOrld has 3.4 or 4 in I think scrapers that are GREAT !
Old 04-10-2005, 11:21 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Old credit cards work well. You can put it on a piece of PVC pipe by cutting a slice in the bottom of it. It works pretty well though there are some places where I have to hold the cc in my hand to get behind the rockwork.

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 10:41 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I use a razor blade...

Tags
algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com