Can anyone tell me why my tank is looking murky,

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Few more details please. Are you cycling? How long has the tank been going? What are your water test results? Any other helpful info?

my tank just bloomed a couple days ago for the first time, ive had the tank set up for two weeks, my fish and coral are doing well, i had my water tested first day of bloom and my lfs said everythng is alright

If you've been running the tank for only 2 weeks, there is a good chance you aren't even cycled yet. having corals and fish in the tank now is extremely dangerous.

I agree with Doug. The reason that it is cloudy is that there is alot of ammonia in the tank. You should have cycled your tank first. I would check into returning the fish and corals till the cycle is done. You can read about the cycle in our SW articles section.

mr_X said:
If you've been running the tank for only 2 weeks, there is a good chance you aren't even cycled yet. having corals and fish in the tank now is extremely dangerous.

The tank was used and has been cycled before, I used a live bacteria additive to help with the cycle, as far as I know all my levels are in check. I'm getting good growth and maturing quickly, as far as I know my tank is thriving.

Does not matter if you added the bacteria. The nitrifying bacteria still has to grow and colonize. Somewhere during the move something happened.

Lfs gave me bad info then, what any recommendations on what to do

You can do one of two things. You can return corals and fish or you`ll need to do daily PWC`s to keep lethal ammonia and nitrite levels down. It will slow the cycle down but it will eventually get done. Just cost more because of the PWC`s.

What do u have in the tank now? What corals and what fish? And do u have ur own test kit to check ur own stuff. I would get a test kit if u don't have one and check ammonia for sure. Cus yea I would guess it has not fully gone through yet and can cause problems if not kill the livestock u have in the tank right now.

Omg I didn't check my water level in the back of the tank so my water wasn't filtering haha I just took out about a gallon

Back
Top Bottom