Can I add a midas Blenny?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CleverBs

Aquarium Advice Addict
I currently have a 25 gallon tank with a flasher wrasse, royal gramma, and 2 clowns. The system has a fuge, protien skimmer rated for 100 gallons, 40 lbs of live rock and 35lbs of live sand. The tAnk is extremely healthy. The tank gets weekly 5 gallon water changes. I want to add a Midas Blenny to the tank but am unsure if this would be ok because of the aggression from the clowns. What do you all think?

I don't see anything wrong with it. I'm assuming your clowns are the Ocellaris ones in your profile picture.

Yes they are. The female is rather aggressive so I plan on adding the Midas Blenny tomorrow with my wrasse. The wrasse has been in a qt and is ready to go back in the tank. That way the aggression will be split up a but and not focused so much on the new fish. M gramma was restricted to about a 10 inch squar for almost a week when I put it in.

I think they should be fine. :)

Did you pick up the blenny today? If so let's see some pictures! lol

No the guy sold it when it was ordered for me for 60$ and he told me it was 20 so I think he decided to make some extra cash but he ended up giving me a emerald crab, tiger pistol shrimp and a watchman hobby for 10$ so ill get the midas blenny later when he gets another one in.

My midas is rather aggressive towards other fish. All fish are individuals but keep an eye on it. He was especially aggressive toward my fairy wrasse which I ended up moving from my 24 to a 55. The wrasse had tried to jump out of the tank several times but I had a glass cover over it. I believe it did permanent fatal damage to the wrasse in the end it slowly wasted away.

Joy is saying nothing but truth. I've seen a lot of Midas that way, but one day I ran into a maroon clown the kept the Midas in check in a corner haha

I wouldn't recommend the midas in a 25g tank. They get to be up to 6" long. I've had 2 that were 3-4" easily.

If you like the color and the great blenny personality, take a look at the canary blenny. One of the fang varieties and swims out front rather than perching like the midas does. Acutally sleeps in the corner of the glass, and LOADS of blenny personality.

I do belive the midas is too large for your tank. Wonderful fish though. Great if he finds a rock out front with a hole large enuf to back into. They do that and leave their head poking out watching the world go by.

I think im just going to pass on the blenny and enjoy my watchman gobby and tiger pistol shrimp, they made a home right in front of the aquarium so I am very happy about that, I was worried they would decide to do it in some hidden spot and i would never see them.

Back
Top Bottom