CAN I ADD FISH YET?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
M

mannyfern09

i was letting my tank cycle... i tested the water today and the results were:

ph: 8.0
nitrate: 0
amonia: .15

with these results is my tank ready to add fish???

Not with ammonia. How long has it been? Have you seen the nitrites/nitrates spike yet?

ammonia and nitrite should be 0 before adding any critters.... have you tested for nitrite? how long has the tank been cycling? with no nitrate it seems that it has just started....

My nitrites and nitrates are both at 0 my amonia is either almost or at 0. People keep telling me with the live sand live rock good water and the damsels that in another week I should be fine... its been bout week and a half

It sounds like your cycle is starting. You should start to see the ammonia go up, then nitrites and nitrates, the the first two should hit 0, then you should be good to go. If I am off, some one let me know....

I am not sure if your tank has cycled yet. How long has the tank been running? This is the time when most eager hobbiests make a big mistake...adding fish too fast. Remember, even after your tank cycles, livestock needs to be added very slowly (one fish per month) so the tank's biological filrataion has time to catch up with the new bioload.

I am not sure if your tank has cycled yet. How long has the tank been running? This is the time when most eager hobbiests make a big mistake...adding fish too fast.

Haha, you can say that again!

with the experience of damsels, I wouldn't add damsels to a beginning tank. A lot of people say to add damsels since they are very hardy. I added damsels after my cycle and they were so aggresive. i don't know if every type of damsels are like that.(mine were blue devils). i think that you could add any fish as long as the kind are hardy. How big is ure tank. I would wait a while before you add any fish though. Hope that helps.

lando said:
I am not sure if your tank has cycled yet. How long has the tank been running? This is the time when most eager hobbiests make a big mistake...adding fish too fast. Remember, even after your tank cycles, livestock needs to be added very slowly (one fish per month) so the tank's biological filrataion has time to catch up with the new bioload.

Lando makes EXCELLENT points here!

We are all hesitant to advise you to add other animals. Not only does it sound like your tank HAS NOT cycled yet Lando makes another profound statement. You should consider waiting to add fish that you want and when you are in a position to choose other fish try adding them slowly. Yor tank is a closed system that relies on the lovely rules of mother nature. As we all know mother nature chooses how she wants things to run. You are dependent on the bacteria cycle(s) in your tank in order to provide a proper environment for other more sensitive fish. Just wait, in the least, a few more weeks! I know its hard but the pay-offs are so worth it. If you can try adding as much live rock as you can (1 piece, in the least ~10-20lbs) every two weeks you present yourself an excellent foundation for success. I am sorry but you cant rush mother nature!

As far as the damsels? IMO keep them around until you start to add other fish. My LFS took them back for a $1/pc. Cant argue with something like that!

-Tram

Back
Top Bottom