Can I cycle quicker with a dead fish or shrimp in tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

heerism

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I heard you can throw a dead fish or dead shrimp into your fish tank and it will cycle the tank in like a week? Does this work or are there other ways to cycle a saltwater tank quickly?

nothing happens quick !!!!!! yes you are better to use a raw shrimp but will take a few weeks !!

How big is your tank? How many pounds of LR? How many pounds of LS?

I have a 55 gallon and 90 pounds of LR and 55 pounds or LS and I cycled in 3 days...

There is an old addage that I like to bring up from time to time. That addage is "Nothing good happens fast in a saltwater tank".

A hurryed up cycle can lead to ammonia and nitrite issue once you start adding fish. This is because their had not been enough time allowed for the buldup of the proper bactera in your tank.

Before we can properly suggest how many raw shrimp or how much fish meat to add to the tank to cycle we need to know the size of the tank. As well as some of the other items that other members have requested above. Each will have an impact on the cycle time and the amount of materal suggested to use to cycle.

Back
Top Bottom