Can I get an aneome yet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

b3noodles

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey all it's the pest again!! LOL Ok we just got an awesome deal on a 55 gal tank with an oak stand and everything. We got a backpack skimmer out of it too. Well my question is now that I have the skimmer can I get an anemone yet? My tank is a 55 gal fowlr and we have the skimmer filter(penguin I think) and my lights are 20 watts 50/50 coralife bulbs.I have 2 of them 24 inches long. Will this be enough to keep an anemone or maybe some coral? I try and do my best and want only whats good for my tank. Thanks Sue :0)

IMO, wait at least a year before you think about purchasing one so your tank is very stable. You're lighing is also not going to be sufficient to keep pretty much any kind except the pest ones like aipstasia. If you're looking to keep them and corals I would suggest looking at a nice PC setup or even possibly some MH's.

Oh I didn't word that right I have had my tank up and running since Dec.We have a couple of fish and 50 pounds of LR and assorted snails and crabs. Thanks Sue :0)

Here is my oponion. Anenomes need to be in a mature tank. At least a year old. Now as for your light. It looks to me that you just have NO lighting. You need at least a good CF lighting system or preferably MH.

Yep those lights won't do anything for an anemone. Get some metal hallides, and don't even try an anemone until your running 0 nitrates, and you can keep your SG at a constant 1.025 with top offs. Just MHO on the subject.

I think a BTA clone (E. quadricolor) would do well for you as your tank reaches a year of maturity. They don't require pristine conditions, and actually do quite well with some nutrients in the water. You will need to upgrade your lighting as mentioned though to perhaps a 4x55w or 4x65w powercompact system. I would start researching them now, so you have a good handle on what they are and what to expect.

If you are serious, provide the right environment...let your tank adjust...and then look into a responsible purchase of a clone.

Back
Top Bottom