Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 06-20-2009, 01:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
InfernoST's Avatar


 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 1,866
Can I get away with this Skimmer?

Hi All
I was looking at skimmers and came across the
Prizm Skimmer - Deluxe - 9 3/4 in. x 5 3/4 in. x 13 3/4 in. It's rated for 100 Gal I have a 120 and am using a canister filter so a sump version is not an option at this point, do you think i would be able to use this one?

[URL="http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/207483/i/1/pr[/URL]
__________________

__________________
Keith
120 Mixed Reef
InfernoST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 03:16 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Atari's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 2,468
I've used that skimmer on a 55gal and it barely coped so you would be better off looking at something rated for a larger tank. There seem to be a lot of skimmers about where you have to halve the rated capacity to get a more realistic estimate.
__________________

__________________
My wife and I were happy for twenty years. Then we met.
- Rodney Dangerfield.


Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 03:21 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
InfernoST's Avatar


 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 1,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atari View Post
I've used that skimmer on a 55gal and it barely coped so you would be better off looking at something rated for a larger tank. There seem to be a lot of skimmers about where you have to halve the rated capacity to get a more realistic estimate.
That's cool you had experience with it, so if I'm hearing you correctly I should be look for a skimmer rated for about 250 gal tank?
__________________
Keith
120 Mixed Reef
InfernoST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 03:31 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Atari's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 2,468
Not necessarily, it would also depend on the efficiency of the skimmer and how heavily you want to stock the tank. I've always preferred the over-skimming approach personally, but there are many who say the opposite is better.

If I remember correctly the Prizm ended up on a 15gal nano, and did a great job, so not quite the capacity the manufacturer intended.
__________________
My wife and I were happy for twenty years. Then we met.
- Rodney Dangerfield.


Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 02:42 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
mhart032's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 98
I have this skimmer and well its junk mine was even brokein when i got it and it still never worked right. i used it for umm a week then i bought a oceanic super skimmer and am using that instead. i have one for sale if you want a red sea skimmer lol..
Matt
__________________
90g DSA Pro/29g Sump/Fuge
red sea wavemaster
4 t5 HO
2 250w HQI MH
mhart032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 10:46 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus
 
roka64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 13,858
Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I don't use skimmers, but plenty of folks to and the general staement on them is you get what you pay for. A few good name brands are Octopus, ASM, Bak Pac and Aqua C Remora... There might be a few other but I can't thnk of them right now...
__________________
Age is relative, you are only as old as you act....of course, this works in reverse....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 10:54 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
InfernoST's Avatar


 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 1,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by roka64 View Post
I don't use skimmers, but plenty of folks to and the general staement on them is you get what you pay for. A few good name brands are Octopus, ASM, Bak Pac and Aqua C Remora... There might be a few other but I can't thnk of them right now...
Thanks for the info roka64 now I have base to start from.
__________________
Keith
120 Mixed Reef
InfernoST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 11:32 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
BigMike75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Fort Knox, KY
Posts: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by roka64 View Post
I don't use skimmers, but plenty of folks to and the general staement on them is you get what you pay for. A few good name brands are Octopus, ASM, Bak Pac and Aqua C Remora... There might be a few other but I can't thnk of them right now...
I have been doing some reading at ReefCentral and alot of people use Octopus and MSX skimmers. They seam to be the same skimmer. I am thinking real hard about setting up a 125 72" tank. I would go with the 200 or 250. Another big ticket item, they are around 300'ish. I have found nothing cheap in SW. You need to take into count your sump volume if you are going that way. My wife keeps telling me I need to do something for SW fish, they are alot prettier. I told her that everyting is more expensive, so I will see what she says after I do it. But Honey I told you.
__________________
BigMike75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 11:40 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
mhart032's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 98
Far as i know the octo is a better skimmer. i would check around on craigslist or check out some for sale sections in forums their are always alot of of good used saltwater products for sometimes less than 1/2 the price, you can get pretty good deals. i really like the super skimmer i have. i bought it from craigslist for 40 bucks and its a 125g. its not always ya get what ya pay for..
Matt
__________________
90g DSA Pro/29g Sump/Fuge
red sea wavemaster
4 t5 HO
2 250w HQI MH
mhart032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 11:45 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
InfernoST's Avatar


 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 1,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike75 View Post
I have been doing some reading at ReefCentral and alot of people use Octopus and MSX skimmers. They seam to be the same skimmer. I am thinking real hard about setting up a 125 72" tank. I would go with the 200 or 250. Another big ticket item, they are around 300'ish. I have found nothing cheap in SW. You need to take into count your sump volume if you are going that way. My wife keeps telling me I need to do something for SW fish, they are alot prettier. I told her that everyting is more expensive, so I will see what she says after I do it. But Honey I told you.
I'll go take a look, Mine also is aware of the cost and so far I haven't had any issues (thank the lord), but you know the thunder and lightning storm is just around the corner.
__________________
Keith
120 Mixed Reef
InfernoST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 11:47 AM   #11
AA Team Emeritus
 
roka64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 13,858
Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I think ASM is a sub-affiliate of another company or something like that.
The initial setup for SW is indeed expensive but the monthly maint isn't that bad. There are things you can get a great price on off of eBay. I bought my fluvial FX5 filter (around $200-250 shipped) my RO/DI ($200 shipped) and nova extreme pro lighting (around $250-300 shipped). There are some things you can hold off on during your cycle, like lighting, skimmer (although, you can run it to break it in during the cycle), RO/DI, buy dry sand instead of the so called "live" sand. Mix base rock with LR.
Drs Foster and Smith doesn't charge based on weight, but they tend to be a little more expensive so buy bulk there. I bought 270lbs of sand, a 6foot lighting system, about 5 buckets of salt and variuos other things for $15.99 shipped....
__________________
Age is relative, you are only as old as you act....of course, this works in reverse....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 11:53 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
BigMike75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Fort Knox, KY
Posts: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoST View Post
I'll go take a look, Mine also is aware of the cost and so far I haven't had any issues (thank the lord), but you know the thunder and lightning storm is just around the corner.
Last year we had a couple of storms where we lost power for a few days. I am thinking about getting a small generator just for my tanks. Wife would rather do that then have me buy all new fish.....
__________________
BigMike75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 03:46 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
InfernoST's Avatar


 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 1,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by roka64 View Post
I think ASM is a sub-affiliate of another company or something like that.
The initial setup for SW is indeed expensive but the monthly maint isn't that bad. There are things you can get a great price on off of eBay. I bought my fluvial FX5 filter (around $200-250 shipped) my RO/DI ($200 shipped) and nova extreme pro lighting (around $250-300 shipped). There are some things you can hold off on during your cycle, like lighting, skimmer (although, you can run it to break it in during the cycle), RO/DI, buy dry sand instead of the so called "live" sand. Mix base rock with LR.
Drs Foster and Smith doesn't charge based on weight, but they tend to be a little more expensive so buy bulk there. I bought 270lbs of sand, a 6foot lighting system, about 5 buckets of salt and variuos other things for $15.99 shipped....
Drs Foster and Smith have pretty good deals, I ordered The Eheim 2080 for i think 359 or 379 shipped and a few other things. Oh yeah this is a biggie I ordered IO 200 gal mix in the box and found it on my door step broken over and salt on the floor. I wrote them an email explained what had happened and that only 1 bag had been torn open they turned around no questions asked and sent me another complete box and told me to keep the remainder of the other. I like those people over there. I figure it will take 4 to 6 weeks to cycle which will give me more time to save a few bucks and do more research on the other items you mentioned.
__________________
Keith
120 Mixed Reef
InfernoST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 10:13 PM   #14
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin
 
melosu58's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Virginia
Posts: 38,568
I use an Excalibur skimmer and am very satisfied with it.
__________________

__________________

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank


AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
***FOR SALE*** RedSea Prizm Skimmer PROTEIN SKIMMER mike3epanda Archive 0 09-08-2007 09:47 PM
RedSea Prizm Skimmer PROTEIN SKIMMER *TRADE* mike3epanda Archive 0 09-08-2007 09:44 PM
FS: AquaC Remora Protein Skimmer w/ Skimmer Box (USED) jmh2536 Archive 1 07-26-2006 02:45 PM
Coralife Super Skimmer Needle Wheel Protein Skimmer roka64 General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 1 06-20-2006 07:27 PM
Fish Only Tank with Live Rock-skimmer or No skimmer triggers Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR 1 08-30-2003 12:59 PM







» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×