Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-20-2009, 01:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Can I get away with this Skimmer?

Hi All
I was looking at skimmers and came across the
Prizm Skimmer - Deluxe - 9 3/4 in. x 5 3/4 in. x 13 3/4 in. It's rated for 100 Gal I have a 120 and am using a canister filter so a sump version is not an option at this point, do you think i would be able to use this one?

[URL="http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/207483/i/1/pr[/URL]

Old 06-20-2009, 03:16 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've used that skimmer on a 55gal and it barely coped so you would be better off looking at something rated for a larger tank. There seem to be a lot of skimmers about where you have to halve the rated capacity to get a more realistic estimate.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 03:21 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atari View Post
I've used that skimmer on a 55gal and it barely coped so you would be better off looking at something rated for a larger tank. There seem to be a lot of skimmers about where you have to halve the rated capacity to get a more realistic estimate.
That's cool you had experience with it, so if I'm hearing you correctly I should be look for a skimmer rated for about 250 gal tank?
Old 06-20-2009, 03:31 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not necessarily, it would also depend on the efficiency of the skimmer and how heavily you want to stock the tank. I've always preferred the over-skimming approach personally, but there are many who say the opposite is better.

If I remember correctly the Prizm ended up on a 15gal nano, and did a great job, so not quite the capacity the manufacturer intended.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 02:42 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have this skimmer and well its junk mine was even brokein when i got it and it still never worked right. i used it for umm a week then i bought a oceanic super skimmer and am using that instead. i have one for sale if you want a red sea skimmer lol..
Matt
2 250w HQI MH
mhart032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 10:46 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I don't use skimmers, but plenty of folks to and the general staement on them is you get what you pay for. A few good name brands are Octopus, ASM, Bak Pac and Aqua C Remora... There might be a few other but I can't thnk of them right now...

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 10:54 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by roka64 View Post
I don't use skimmers, but plenty of folks to and the general staement on them is you get what you pay for. A few good name brands are Octopus, ASM, Bak Pac and Aqua C Remora... There might be a few other but I can't thnk of them right now...
Thanks for the info roka64 now I have base to start from.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:32 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by roka64 View Post
I have been doing some reading at ReefCentral and alot of people use Octopus and MSX skimmers. They seam to be the same skimmer. I am thinking real hard about setting up a 125 72" tank. I would go with the 200 or 250. Another big ticket item, they are around 300'ish. I have found nothing cheap in SW. You need to take into count your sump volume if you are going that way. My wife keeps telling me I need to do something for SW fish, they are alot prettier. I told her that everyting is more expensive, so I will see what she says after I do it. But Honey I told you.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:40 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Far as i know the octo is a better skimmer. i would check around on craigslist or check out some for sale sections in forums their are always alot of of good used saltwater products for sometimes less than 1/2 the price, you can get pretty good deals. i really like the super skimmer i have. i bought it from craigslist for 40 bucks and its a 125g. its not always ya get what ya pay for..
Matt
2 250w HQI MH
mhart032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 11:45 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike75 View Post
I have been doing some reading at ReefCentral and alot of people use Octopus and MSX skimmers. They seam to be the same skimmer. I am thinking real hard about setting up a 125 72" tank. I would go with the 200 or 250. Another big ticket item, they are around 300'ish. I have found nothing cheap in SW. You need to take into count your sump volume if you are going that way. My wife keeps telling me I need to do something for SW fish, they are alot prettier. I told her that everyting is more expensive, so I will see what she says after I do it. But Honey I told you.
I'll go take a look, Mine also is aware of the cost and so far I haven't had any issues (thank the lord), but you know the thunder and lightning storm is just around the corner.

Tags
skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com