Can I get away with this Skimmer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

InfernoST

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi All
I was looking at skimmers and came across the
Prizm Skimmer - Deluxe - 9 3/4 in. x 5 3/4 in. x 13 3/4 in. It's rated for 100 Gal I have a 120 and am using a canister filter so a sump version is not an option at this point, do you think i would be able to use this one?

[URL="http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/207483/i/1/pr[/URL]

I've used that skimmer on a 55gal and it barely coped so you would be better off looking at something rated for a larger tank. There seem to be a lot of skimmers about where you have to halve the rated capacity to get a more realistic estimate.

I've used that skimmer on a 55gal and it barely coped so you would be better off looking at something rated for a larger tank. There seem to be a lot of skimmers about where you have to halve the rated capacity to get a more realistic estimate.
That's cool you had experience with it, so if I'm hearing you correctly I should be look for a skimmer rated for about 250 gal tank?

Not necessarily, it would also depend on the efficiency of the skimmer and how heavily you want to stock the tank. I've always preferred the over-skimming approach personally, but there are many who say the opposite is better.

If I remember correctly the Prizm ended up on a 15gal nano, and did a great job, so not quite the capacity the manufacturer intended.

I have this skimmer and well its junk mine was even brokein when i got it and it still never worked right. i used it for umm a week then i bought a oceanic super skimmer and am using that instead. i have one for sale if you want a red sea skimmer lol..
Matt

I don't use skimmers, but plenty of folks to and the general staement on them is you get what you pay for. A few good name brands are Octopus, ASM, Bak Pac and Aqua C Remora... There might be a few other but I can't thnk of them right now...

I don't use skimmers, but plenty of folks to and the general staement on them is you get what you pay for. A few good name brands are Octopus, ASM, Bak Pac and Aqua C Remora... There might be a few other but I can't thnk of them right now...
Thanks for the info roka64 now I have base to start from.

I have been doing some reading at ReefCentral and alot of people use Octopus and MSX skimmers. They seam to be the same skimmer. I am thinking real hard about setting up a 125 72" tank. I would go with the 200 or 250. Another big ticket item, they are around 300'ish. I have found nothing cheap in SW. You need to take into count your sump volume if you are going that way. My wife keeps telling me I need to do something for SW fish, they are alot prettier. I told her that everyting is more expensive, so I will see what she says after I do it. ;);) But Honey I told you.:D

Far as i know the octo is a better skimmer. i would check around on craigslist or check out some for sale sections in forums their are always alot of of good used saltwater products for sometimes less than 1/2 the price, you can get pretty good deals. i really like the super skimmer i have. i bought it from craigslist for 40 bucks and its a 125g. its not always ya get what ya pay for..
Matt

I have been doing some reading at ReefCentral and alot of people use Octopus and MSX skimmers. They seam to be the same skimmer. I am thinking real hard about setting up a 125 72" tank. I would go with the 200 or 250. Another big ticket item, they are around 300'ish. I have found nothing cheap in SW. You need to take into count your sump volume if you are going that way. My wife keeps telling me I need to do something for SW fish, they are alot prettier. I told her that everyting is more expensive, so I will see what she says after I do it. ;);) But Honey I told you.:D
I'll go take a look, Mine also is aware of the cost and so far I haven't had any issues (thank the lord), but you know the thunder and lightning storm is just around the corner.

I think ASM is a sub-affiliate of another company or something like that.
The initial setup for SW is indeed expensive but the monthly maint isn't that bad. There are things you can get a great price on off of eBay. I bought my fluvial FX5 filter (around $200-250 shipped) my RO/DI ($200 shipped) and nova extreme pro lighting (around $250-300 shipped). There are some things you can hold off on during your cycle, like lighting, skimmer (although, you can run it to break it in during the cycle), RO/DI, buy dry sand instead of the so called "live" sand. Mix base rock with LR.
Drs Foster and Smith doesn't charge based on weight, but they tend to be a little more expensive so buy bulk there. I bought 270lbs of sand, a 6foot lighting system, about 5 buckets of salt and variuos other things for $15.99 shipped....

I'll go take a look, Mine also is aware of the cost and so far I haven't had any issues (thank the lord), but you know the thunder and lightning storm is just around the corner.

Last year we had a couple of storms where we lost power for a few days. I am thinking about getting a small generator just for my tanks. Wife would rather do that then have me buy all new fish.....

I think ASM is a sub-affiliate of another company or something like that.
The initial setup for SW is indeed expensive but the monthly maint isn't that bad. There are things you can get a great price on off of eBay. I bought my fluvial FX5 filter (around $200-250 shipped) my RO/DI ($200 shipped) and nova extreme pro lighting (around $250-300 shipped). There are some things you can hold off on during your cycle, like lighting, skimmer (although, you can run it to break it in during the cycle), RO/DI, buy dry sand instead of the so called "live" sand. Mix base rock with LR.
Drs Foster and Smith doesn't charge based on weight, but they tend to be a little more expensive so buy bulk there. I bought 270lbs of sand, a 6foot lighting system, about 5 buckets of salt and variuos other things for $15.99 shipped....
Drs Foster and Smith have pretty good deals, I ordered The Eheim 2080 for i think 359 or 379 shipped and a few other things. Oh yeah this is a biggie I ordered IO 200 gal mix in the box and found it on my door step broken over and salt on the floor. I wrote them an email explained what had happened and that only 1 bag had been torn open they turned around no questions asked and sent me another complete box and told me to keep the remainder of the other. I like those people over there. I figure it will take 4 to 6 weeks to cycle which will give me more time to save a few bucks and do more research on the other items you mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom