Can I Get Inverts? ... etc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Viperboy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so my tank has been up and running for about 3 weeks .... 1 w/ LR in it and now the ammonia is at 0 and the nitrites are still fairly high but im starting to see nitrates ... so i was wondering if it is ok to go ahead and order the clean up crew pack from live aquariua and would the snails and hermits survive through the end of my cycle ..... ps my tank is 29 gal w/ 46lbs of LR and 40lbs of LS .... im running 2 maxi jet 600 PH at each end and a fluval 104 cannister filter for more filtration and current .... i have the corallife aqualight 135watt that i have been keeping off so no algae builds up while the rock finishes curing and what not .... i also have a coralife 65gal skimmer but i have not opened it and put it on cause ive heard its big and other bad things so i dont know what to do yet ..... but let me know and TIA

Ray

I would wait until the cycle is complete. Nitrites/Nitrates are toxic, although nitrAtes are not as toxic as ammonia/nitrItes.
As for the clean up crew, I used their packs as a guideline for what to get just not as many. Those packs aren't really designed for a new tank. Most of them will probably starve to death in a new tank, due to the amount of them and the low amount of food in the tank. I would go with about half of what are in those packs.

I opened my CSS 65 skimmer for my new 30 gal. Saturday and it may be a good skimmer but not for a tank like the size of ours unless you have a sump. Way to big for hang on application IMO. I was shocked how much it took up.

That night I ordered the Bak Pak-2-the one for reef tanks and there is another one for FOWLR. It was about $140 with shipping from Dr. Fosters

Most people make the mistake of thinking that because they are the clean up crew, they are hardy critters. Most inverts are highly sensitive to poor water quality conditions. You really need to wait until your cycle is complete. Then do a 50% water change, then get your clean up guys.
hth

I never intended to put anything into a tank that isnt ready i was just seeing if i could ... but i will mos def wait cause i am in no hurry to speed things up .... id rather do it right than have to do it again ... thanks

Ray

Back
Top Bottom