Can I have my refuge in the 1st chamber?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spikey

Aquarium Advice Activist
In my sump I have a very large 1st chamber where my protein skimmer and water from the display tank comes in. Then I have the area that reduces the bubble. Then I have a very small (10cm) chamber that has a foam filter medium. And finally I have the return chamber; once again this is quite large. I am putting in some live rock and coral sand (refuge); should I make it the 1st chamber with the PR skimmer and lots of bubbles, or should it be in the last chamber with the return pump?

In mine I have the fuge first. In the second compartment I have bioballs soon to be LR. The third area is my return/skimmer area. Just the way I do mine.

In mine I have the fuge first. In the second compartment I have bioballs soon to be LR. The third area is my return/skimmer area. Just the way I do mine.

In your First Camber is that were you Overflow goes into?

There are pros and cons to having the fuge in different parts of the sump. Having it in the first chamber before skimming means that the macro will come into contact with more nutrients and remove them. You will lose some of the benefits of copepod introduction by having your skimmer after the fuge.

It all breaks down to what will work best with your setup. I personally have a dedicated fuge (20g tall tank) that is sperate from my sump.

You want your fuge separate from your skimmer and/or after it before the return. Drain->skimmer->fuge->return or have the return compartment separating the skimmer and fuge (fed by return pump by Teeing off the line); otherwise, the beneficial fauna you are hoping to populate and reproduce are being hindered by skimmer uptake.

for me what do you suggest

I have 3 compartments, 1st skimmer 2 small (I have filter media), and the 3rd is the return. Should I have the refuge in the 1st knowing there is a lot of turbulent flow and air bubbles, or should I gave it with the return side. The return is a large area ~10g (40l)?

How large is the 2nd compartment (dimensions)? What kind of filter media and how much? You could always make a remote fuge if you have the space.

1st chamber is 8in (20cm) - Protein skimmer
2nd chamber 1in (3cm) - flow comes from the bottom
3rd chamber 4in (10cm) this has a lip in the top to have a gentle drop into the next chamber.
4th chamber 6.7in (17cm) - this is a large calm flow of water - return pump

The whole sump is 21.6in (55cm) high. In chamber 3 there is a corse black filter medium (not sure how to describe it). It is about 4in (10cm) deep

Back
Top Bottom