Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-05-2010, 07:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Can I heat up some fresh water in a metal pot in order to add it to my saltwater mixt

Can I heat up some fresh water in a metal pot in order to add it to my saltwater mixture, when preparing saltwater for PWC. My reasoning behind this is that I wanted to get my saltwater up to a ballpark temperature before using a heater. This would cut down on time, because I am using very cold filtered water from walmart. My concern is wether I can use a metal pot, or should I use glassware?

Old 11-06-2010, 04:08 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I used a pot to heat up water for my water changes for about a year and it worked fine for me. I had no problems at all. I now usually let the water sit overnight with the salt, a jet, and a heater. I believe this allows time for the salt to properly mix and gives a more accurate salinity reading. Not 100% sure on this though.

0o.Kelsey.o0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 02:35 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

I would not use the metal pot. I add a heater as soon as I have enough water to cover it. Use an oversized heater and you won't have any problems. I use an undersized heater, but I wait overnight before adding my salt and then let that mix overnight before I do a pwc.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eat, fresh, fresh water, heat, metal, salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com