Can I heat up some fresh water in a metal pot in order to add it to my saltwater mixt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

metree7

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can I heat up some fresh water in a metal pot in order to add it to my saltwater mixture, when preparing saltwater for PWC. My reasoning behind this is that I wanted to get my saltwater up to a ballpark temperature before using a heater. This would cut down on time, because I am using very cold filtered water from walmart. My concern is wether I can use a metal pot, or should I use glassware?

I used a pot to heat up water for my water changes for about a year and it worked fine for me. I had no problems at all. I now usually let the water sit overnight with the salt, a jet, and a heater. I believe this allows time for the salt to properly mix and gives a more accurate salinity reading. Not 100% sure on this though.

I would not use the metal pot. I add a heater as soon as I have enough water to cover it. Use an oversized heater and you won't have any problems. I use an undersized heater, but I wait overnight before adding my salt and then let that mix overnight before I do a pwc.

Back
Top Bottom