Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-16-2009, 06:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Can I put this in my tank???

So I just bought my tank and it was used as a FW tank before. It came with some tank decor. One of the pieces is a rather large fake piece of coral. Can I use this in my FOWLR tank? There is a hole in the bottom of it that I am afraid might trap water and cause some bacterial growth. Should I just stay away from it? It would just save me a few bucks worth of live/base rock

Here are the pics of it:

Old 09-16-2009, 06:42 PM   #2
is back to save the day!

You can use it.. but it won't serve as any means of filtration when your tank becomes established, like live rock would. It would just get covered with algae and corraline, and stay that way forever, serving no other purpose besides maybe a cave or perching place for inverts or blennies lol. But if you are going to have a FOWLR tank.. then you will already have live rock.. so why need this? These sort of things go in like fish only systems.. lol.

If you are going to use it though.. i would suggest bleaching it. Just in case there is any things on it that you would definitely not want in your tank. Just for precautions.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:44 PM   #3

Cool, I know it won't serve any purpose besides a hiding spot but with my budget I wont be able to stack tons of live rock so this will help fill some holes How do I bleach it? Just do a super diluted water bleach solution and clean it? Thanks for the help!
Old 09-16-2009, 06:46 PM   #4
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

bleach it with a 10:1 solution, then rinse it very good and soak it in a bucket with lots of dechlor in it... then let it sit for a few days before adding.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 06:47 PM   #5
is back to save the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
bleach it with a 10:1 solution, then rinse it very good and soak it in a bucket with lots of dechlor in it... then let it sit for a few days before adding.
+1

Exactly like that.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:52 PM   #6

Ok I will do that... Dechlor is that the same as a tap water conditioner? I have that but if its different I'll go buy some. Also the holes in the bottom had me worried, because I read somewhere that the water in the holes do not move enough and cause bacteria to grow. Is this ok??
Old 09-16-2009, 08:26 PM   #7
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Dechlor is a chemical that removed chlorine/chloramine from tap water, like prime, amquel, stresszyme, etc...

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
Old 09-16-2009, 08:40 PM   #8

Ok... My tank hasn't started cycling yet, is it still important for me to let this sit for a few days in a bucket of water and dechlor??
Old 09-16-2009, 09:22 PM   #9
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

yes, the dechlor will remove the bleach from it... if not, you will have lots of chlorine in your tank, not good, especially if youre starting a cycle as chlorine kills bacteria, the reason they put it in tap water and swimming pools

Old 09-20-2009, 02:28 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 View Post
You can use it.. but it won't serve as any means of filtration when your tank becomes established, like live rock would. It would just get covered with algae and corraline,
It will become live and serve the same purpose as LR. The reason we use LR is becaues it is porous and has lots of surface area.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com