Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-02-2004, 09:04 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am getting mine for free from the LFS. They just throw it in and cure it with the LR so it ready to go when I get it. It is just a couple pounds at a time but for free, t can wait. I figure it does not have to look good in the sump. Rubble will do the same as LR in the tank.

Old 08-03-2004, 02:13 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Does live rock need to have light? Or can it but put in a dark sump underneath the tank?

For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities...have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. (Romans 1:20)
johnkristie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 10:53 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

You do not need rubble, as long as you have LR. The rubble will collect the same trash as the bio-balls. Just use the 25 micron sock, protein skimmer, carbon and do weekly water changes.
Old 08-03-2004, 11:26 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

If the LR rubble is free, why not add it. A filter sock is great but like you said it has to be changed. More LR or LR rubble the better, IMO.

I would love to have some for my fuge if it was free. Rubble is good for pods.
Old 08-03-2004, 11:34 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

It is my understanding that the bacteria that break down nitrate do not need light. With out light in your sump you get the benifits of biological filtration, just won't grow coraline and other stuff that require light.
Old 08-04-2004, 11:13 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

The principal of the sock it to remove bio load. That is how you reduce nitrates. Changing the sock only takes a few minutes, the same as cleaning the protein skimmer cup. The more material you remove the less your bacteria has to eat. The principal is to get the load equal to the bacteria digestion, that how you balance the system and get your nitrates to 0.0.
Old 08-04-2004, 12:00 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

I just picked up the last of the rubble I need from the LFS. About another 10 ls. Added it yesterday so I will see if it helps. I will wait a day and do another water change then test nitrates to see if they go down. i am down to about 5 right now, but would like to see 0 to 2.5.
Old 08-04-2004, 05:44 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

Seems like the rubble would be the same as small pieces of liverock and useful. I wanted to add that I set a refugium up on my oceanic 150. I have predator fish tank with a few stealthy inverts. Lots of mess at feeding time. My refugium is doing well at holding my nitrates at zero. Here is how I did it. It really was simple and not too expensive.

I bought an 18 gallon cube tank and had a glass company drill a hole in the side. I then put a bulkhead on it and attached tubing that goes into the sump. I purchased cinder blocks at Home Depot to raise the tank 4 inches off the floor under my cabinent. Gravity takes the water back into the sump. I pump water from the sump slowly with a maxi-jet into the refugium over the top. The glass company also fashioned half a glass lid for the tank to set my shop light on top of leaving the other half open for my return line. It only cost around 200 dollars for the whole setup and it works like a charm. I kept my bioballs and I also run a protein skimmer. So far so good.... I think this is a good option if you want a heavily stocked tank. Then you don't need to get rid of your wet/dry filter.

Tags
bio

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com