Can I take water from the sea and put it in my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jayjay61388

Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Last edited by a moderator:

I do it. Its a little salty where i live so i add some distilled water to it. Just remember to measure the salinity

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

You can, but it certainly is not the wisest thing to do.
You can introduce all sorts of unwanted critters into your system that way, plus you have NO way of knowing what is actually in the water. For all you know a boat could be leaking fuel a few miles off the coast and then you put that into your tank where it won't get diluted......hope you get the idea.

I use real ocean water that I buy at a few different stores. It has been safely and environmentally collected, sterilized and filtered.
http://www.catalinawater.com/

but if you do decide to go that route, here are some tips to help.
never take it directly from the ocean and put it into your tank.
http://www.saltwatersmarts.com/challenges-of-collecting-natural-sea-water-for-marine-aquarium-2751/

I never thought of that.

why would you want to add all those pollutants and all sorts of parasites into your tank ,
by the time your finished you'll regret ever doing it.
it may sound simple but like PB said if it's not filtered and purified your just adding lots of nasty' s into your tank .
taking shortcuts in the saltwater hobby don't work it causes more issues down the line than you would ever imagine. If your wanting to take shortcuts thinking it will make it easier you are sadly mistaken ,

if it's because you want to avoid a cycle don't be fooled the water isn't what holds the bb it's the rock and sub-strait and the tank still would need to be cycled ,

water direct from the ocean with out proper filtration will have a milky/murky look to it , along with many unwanted nasty s and remain murky for quit a good while ,

if your still wanting to take shortcuts , consider the cost of nice fish are you willing to risk loosing them that $ adds up fast , saltwater and shortcuts are a bad mix ,

your not on that stupid show tanked your in reality . it's not just add water and fish and your done.
basic steps need to be taken those steps won't change just for you .

if shortcuts really worked would we be trying to persuade you away from them , if your still thinking shortcut s saltwater isn't in your cup of tea ,
Our goal here is to help you succeed not crash and fall before you even begin

Last edited:
So it's better that I just go to the pet store ok.

you can buy a salt mix and make your own as many of us do , it works out to about 14cents a gal , compared to premix 99cents a gal at pet store ,

you can buy a salt mix and make your own as many of us do , it works out to about 14cents a gal , compared to premix 99cents a gal at pet store ,

How are you doing it for .14 per gallon???
are you including the cost of the tapwater, RO/DI filters and waste water from the RO/DI? Even when buying the salt in bulk, it is still around .20-.25 per gallon just for the salt mix. (200 gallon box average price of $50 divided by 200 = .25 cents per gallon) Buckets are even more expensive.
I think your figures may need adjustment.

For me I have to buy RO/DI water at .25 a gallon cause my tap has copper and nitrate and then salt mix (50 gallon bag is about .37 per gallon) and conditioner. So at least .62 per gallon mixing my own.
It works out to being more expensive to mix my own than buying ocean water from the lfs at .45 a gallon at one and .50 a gallon at the other I use.
Plus I figure in my time as well. ;)

But I live in So. Cal and the company that provides the water is only miles off the coast, so shipping really doesn't add much to the cost for the stores.
There are stores around here who sell it for $1 or even as much $2 a gallon, but those stores are for people with more money than brains.
I can imagine it would be more in Co. or other inland areas.

I was half asleep this morn I totally forgot to take into account the ro/di filter I also don't pay for water and I also forgot to mention I get my salt for 30. 200g box so it's actually about 45 cent

I was half asleep this morn I totally forgot to take into account the ro/di filter I also don't pay for water and I also forgot to mention I get my salt for 30. 200g box so it's actually about 45 cent

DARN! I was going to ask what your secret is... :(

Back
Top Bottom