Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-22-2009, 05:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
can i turn a 10 gallon tropical fish tank into a saltwater tank?

i was wonder, if i could turn my 10 gallon started tropical fish tank into a saltwater tank. its one of those tanks that came with a filter, and some fish flakes and water condistioner.

samanthajean0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 05:51 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
You certainly can, although you'll probably want to add or upgrade a few things. I would suggest doing some reading before tackling a SW tank, as FW and SW are pretty different in some respects. In such a small tank, staying on top of water parameters is crucially important, but it is doable. Also keep in mind that you will be limited to most likely 1 fish, although there are a number of cool inverts that you could have also. With the stock tank lighting you won't be able to keep any corals but a FOWLR (fish only with live rock) tank would work well and is a good way to start. I had a 10g FOWLR before I went to a 30g reef.

newfound77951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 05:59 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie
well i have a fancy salt water tank that cost my like 150,and then more for the rocks and stuff, i got it like a year and a half ago, and i want another tank just to house dwarf seahorses, but my mom said i have to pay for it myself, and i have a LFS that sells these ten gallon start kits for like 25 dollors. and then i would just get the other stuff that i needed to accomidate the seahorses, and i wouldnt have to worry about buying rocks because they dont like them to much.
samanthajean0x is offline   Reply With Quote

10 gallon, salt, saltwater, saltwater tank, tan, tropical, tropical fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Ammonia | Lighting »