Can I use a fluval fx5 and sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saltymac

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Im a newbie to the reef aquarium hobby,Just got a 75 gallon half round tank with stand hood and a fluval fx5 filter. Would like to set it up to be reef tank. I'm going to buy a sump with a refuge and skimmer and a ro/di unit
I like to know if I could use the fx5 and then put the water through the sump or would it be better to put the water through the sump and the through the fx5.
Not even sure this is possible just need some guidance in the right direction as not too make expensive mistakes right of the bat.

Well with the sump you are trying to add more volume and lower nutrients to create stability so as long as it helps with one of those things then go for it. Personally I wouldn't want another thing to clean and maintain.

some people will continue to use canister filters as a media reactor to run carbon or gfo etc... You just don't want to keep the regular media in there like bio rings or whatever else comes in there bc they can build up nitrates.

as far as where it goes I would have it separate from the sump completely unless you will be able to have it configured 1. Sump intake and skimmer section 2. Canister 3. Refugium 4. Return. But I don't know I haven't used them so maybe someone else could help with that.

Good luck with the build!

And I meant the canister filter with the" not wanting an extra thing to maintain" comment, not the sump. You definitely want to move forward with the sump and in-sump skimmer.

so i could use the fx5 as a dual carbon and gfo reactor? would this run seperate to the sump? as in just change the media to carbon and gfo and leave it running as it is

Yep that's the way I've heard people do it. I wish I could give more detailed advice but it's not something I have done. I think you will want to make sure they are in separate chambers.

thanks for the help, anyone else got more info on how this will best work.

Back
Top Bottom