can I use drinking water to mix with salt to put in aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pristine

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys and girls. Well my new 110 tank is now sitting on oak stand. Got my wet dry filter today. My question is can I use drinking water to mix with salt to put in aquarium

RO water is likely your best bet from the bottle. Are you in a position to purchase and use an RO/DI system to make water? In that 110g tank, you're gonna have to deal with 20-30g a month for water changes and evaporation. I'd look into an Ro/Di if I were you.

Also, if you test your tap water, you may find you can get started with that anyway and upgrade shortly thereafter to an RO/DI. You can find them for less than $150 I think. Compare that to the cost of filling the 110 and maintenance.

You doing fish only or reef?

If you look at the labels on the drinking water it will say that it`s packaged by some water municipality which just means that it is tap water.

Actually I think I mis-spoke. DI (De-ionized) water is available in the bottle, not RO (Reverse Osmosis).

Ya know what? I have no idea which is available at the grocer's. Been so long since I bought some. :)

Last edited:
DI water is not recommened for drinking water so the stuff at the stores are RO only.

Actually I think I mis-spoke. DI (De-ionized) water is available in the bottle, not RO (Reverse Osmosis).

Ya know what? I have no idea which is available at the grocer's. Been so long since I bought some. :)

I think you called it right from the beginning... ro water is available at alot of grocery stores...

Back
Top Bottom