Can I use seaweed out of the Atlantc?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spinman

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was out boogie boarding the other day off the Atlantic City beach and see this beautiful translucent light green seaweed floating on by.

Is it something worth collecting and used for fish food?

Mike

Personally I wouldn't take a chance. That seaweed could have absorbed numerous types of pollutants that could do damage to your tank. With the amount of dried sea weeds on the market, why take that chance.

This could be an interesting topic...I am would think that when seaweed is harvested, it is just rinsed and then placed on drying racks..no other processing.
With that said, the sea weeds being sold on the market wouldnt be much different from that you harvested yourself.

This being the case, it would depend (I am guessing) on how far out you harvested the seaweed and the overall pollutants in the area.

take this for what it's worth, but I knew someone who added some macro out of the ocean and a little water out of the ocean to there tank and all there fish got Ich.

I'm not saying that this is for sure going to happen or anything, just something to think about.

This was a whole discussion among NJ reefers recently. Apparently lots of folks here are using or considering using NSW for their tanks rather than synthetic products. Some people who do use NSW swear by it and say their tanks have never looked better. The concensus on NJ seaweed was to go ahead and use it. The people who use NSW say to take the water preferably during incoming tide, as I recall.

Tons of people use NSW. Especially those in close contact - why not? Free water and salt. As far as collecting seaweed yourself - make sure you know what you're collecting.

schoeplein said:
As far as collecting seaweed yourself - make sure you know what you're collecting.

As well as local laws regarding harvesting from the wild. A lot of areas have laws against harvesting livestock from local waters. I don't know if that extends to plant life or not but I'd hate to get hit with a few hundred dollars (if not more) in fines trying to save a few bucks on seaweed. :) Give your local DEC a call and find out.

Is it really "harvesting" when the stuff is floating in the surf? It's not like I'm diving 10 feet down and ripping it off the ocean bottom.

It's bad enough the Jersey beaches hose you for beach tags, now I can see them fining me for scooping up what's floating in the surf.

The stuff looks so god i feel like it eating it myself :)

Back
Top Bottom