Can I use this rock for SW?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kimberly

Aquarium Advice FINatic
We have some white holey rock that was originally used (recommended by the lfs) for African cichlids. It is just sitting in the garage taking up space. Can we use it as base rock for our reef tank? We will be adding live rock soon.

I think that you can use just about any rock for base as long as you do a good job cleaning it up before using. Thats what the guys at my LFS told me when I set up my tank. On My 2nd tank I cut 4, 2 inch PVC pipe 1 foot long and put in the DSB and set the LR on it works great. :)

I am sorry but I would tend to dissagree with Bamaboy on this one.

Rocks contain minerals that can and will be leached into SW aquariums much differently than FW aquariums due to the chemical nature of SW. Take for instance copper, this will not effect a FW aquarium in a negative way (to my knowledge, I could be incorrect here) but even a small amount of copper in a SW aquarium will make the aquarium uninhabitable by any invertibrates which are the backbone of a SW reef. Other rocks contain Silicates and other undesirable minerals, the reason most everyone uses lr from reefs is because they are coral skeletens and we are relatively certain they are safe for other corals.

If the "white holey rock" is sandstone for instance I would say no way would you want that in a SW aquarium. But if it is old coral skeletens I would say after cleaning they should be fine.

Bottom line, If you don't know for certain, don't use it :D

Post pics of the rocks, I am sure someone can probably id it for you.

Best wishes,

Mark

My eel tank contains about one hundred pounds of white texas holey rock. I would think what you have is about the same type rock. If so, it is ok to use as base rock.

Here is a picture of one of the rocks we have.

Attachments

• dsc03493.jpe
    dsc03493.jpe
    14.2 KB · Views: 170
  • dsc03494.jpe
    dsc03494.jpe
    14.5 KB · Views: 169
Back
Top Bottom