Can I use this tank??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Doan

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was recently given a tank (20 gallon) That my wifes grandmother had in her attic. Dunno how long it had been there but lets say uhh 2yrs. The problem is That I have heard her talk about treating her fish before with copper to clear up ich. Under her current tank she has a bottle of Mardel Coppersafe dunno if thats what she used but mabye it will help you. ANy way it's been empty and cleard out forever now but I am curious if I can use this as a frag tank. The glass will not absorb the copper will it?? I mean can I even put live rock in this tank??

Thanks

Doan

From what I hear the sealing of the tank will/can store the copper. Why not just buy a 20 gal new, there fairly cheap. Better to be safe then sorry.

If your tank has been subjected to copper, more than likley you will never be able to have inverts in the tank, as the copper adhears to the silicone seal. you would be better off getting a new tank, than the money your gonna spend trying to figure it out.

Tanks are cheap buy a new one unless you are just keeping fish in it you are asking for trouble!

Buy a new 20 gallon and use the one from your grandmother as a QT and then you wont have to worry about the copper or not!

i dont buy it at all :) even if the copper did get absorbed into the silicone it wouldnt be enough to cause issues !! i have 2 55 gallons that had copper in them and all my animals are doing great :) if im wrong someone send some hard core proof of a tank not keeping inverts due to copper in the tank at one time ! like to see it ! ill show ya pics of my stars /pods/corals/sponges that are growing strong !

my tanks:) weres the proof of a tank not keeping inverts that have had copper ! yea hear everyone saying it wont support life but yet seen it ?¿?

It's not something that's easy to prove.. you hear about people having trouble keeping snails alive and there doesn't seem to be any reason for it, and then you ask if they ever used copper and they say yes.. so who knows if that's the reason or not but if you're talking about a small expense then I don't see any harm in being cautious.

look at it this way ! if it was true to be that toxic and last forever in a tank then wouldnt it make sense that once ya dosed copper for ich then in theory ya wouldnt ever get ick in that tank again due to the traces of copper !! this isnt the case !!

There are tons of rumors in this hobby, just as any other. Personally I am with scuba on this one. The "rumor" that copper bonds to silicone is just that. You wanna give it a try? Fill after a good cleaning and test for copper. That should solve that, yeah?

heres my other thought on this ! if silicone does absorb copper then why wouldnt tanks leak ! if it can absorb copper then it would absorb water which would make it leak :)

heres my other thought on this ! if silicone does absorb copper then why wouldnt tanks leak ! if it can absorb copper then it would absorb water which would make it leak

true dat! :wink:

Well if it is true, it's also said it can leech out at any time. So your tank may be doing great now... but lets say it's true. Theres still that chance isn't there¿?

Substances tend to flow from areas of higher concentration to areas of lower concentration. Given the assumption that silicone can absorb copper, It can probably release it to an area of lower concentration as well. I would think that with time and water changes the copper would be reduced to levels that would not be toxic to inverts.

Ich is less sensitive to copper than most inverts. Why not just use it as a quarantine 'cause everybody needs one of those? Under $25 gets you a new 20 gallon in my area. Why even risk delicate frags when it's not absolutely necessary?

Unless the tank was dosed multiple times with high copper concentrations I dont see the harm in it, but thats just me I could be wrong.........

BTW, just because the copper may stick to the silicone doesn't mean it will absorb water too.

And I just remembered someone who said they had bought a used tank and had never personally used copper but their tank always tested for copper so, if the test kit was working right and there was no other source of copper, then that's reasonable cause for doubt IMO.

I wonder if Silicone does absorb copper. I've heard it does, but like you said, no real proof. I know it will stain.

Back
Top Bottom