Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-10-2004, 11:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Can I use this tank??

I was recently given a tank (20 gallon) That my wifes grandmother had in her attic. Dunno how long it had been there but lets say uhh 2yrs. The problem is That I have heard her talk about treating her fish before with copper to clear up ich. Under her current tank she has a bottle of Mardel Coppersafe dunno if thats what she used but mabye it will help you. ANy way it's been empty and cleard out forever now but I am curious if I can use this as a frag tank. The glass will not absorb the copper will it?? I mean can I even put live rock in this tank??

Thanks

Doan

Old 08-10-2004, 11:48 PM   #2

From what I hear the sealing of the tank will/can store the copper. Why not just buy a 20 gal new, there fairly cheap. Better to be safe then sorry.
Old 08-11-2004, 12:38 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to Pyxis Send a message via MSN to Pyxis Send a message via Yahoo to Pyxis
If your tank has been subjected to copper, more than likley you will never be able to have inverts in the tank, as the copper adhears to the silicone seal. you would be better off getting a new tank, than the money your gonna spend trying to figure it out.
Old 08-11-2004, 11:15 AM   #4

Tanks are cheap buy a new one unless you are just keeping fish in it you are asking for trouble!
Old 08-11-2004, 11:36 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
Buy a new 20 gallon and use the one from your grandmother as a QT and then you wont have to worry about the copper or not!
Old 08-11-2004, 01:29 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

i dont buy it at all even if the copper did get absorbed into the silicone it wouldnt be enough to cause issues !! i have 2 55 gallons that had copper in them and all my animals are doing great if im wrong someone send some hard core proof of a tank not keeping inverts due to copper in the tank at one time ! like to see it ! ill show ya pics of my stars /pods/corals/sponges that are growing strong !
Old 08-11-2004, 02:19 PM   #7

Quote:
even if the copper did get absorbed into the silicone it wouldnt be enough to cause issues !!
Wheres your hard core proof?
Old 08-11-2004, 02:47 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

my tanks weres the proof of a tank not keeping inverts that have had copper ! yea hear everyone saying it wont support life but yet seen it ?¿?
Old 08-11-2004, 04:15 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's not something that's easy to prove.. you hear about people having trouble keeping snails alive and there doesn't seem to be any reason for it, and then you ask if they ever used copper and they say yes.. so who knows if that's the reason or not but if you're talking about a small expense then I don't see any harm in being cautious.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 04:59 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

look at it this way ! if it was true to be that toxic and last forever in a tank then wouldnt it make sense that once ya dosed copper for ich then in theory ya wouldnt ever get ick in that tank again due to the traces of copper !! this isnt the case !!

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com