Can i use Water From The beach?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sephirot

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well i Want to know If i can get waer from the beach? because its basically the same water dont you think? and i dont waste money, sinse i live 3 blocks away from the beach, can i use beach water? instead of buying the water from LFS?

alrite :) so i quess ill do water changes with the water from beach :D

Just be sure to collect it away from freshwater river and stream run-off areas, especially if they are near chemical plants, factories, and animal or agricultural farms where the water may contain toxins, or when fuels are present in places such as around boat docks and high traffic harbors.

You should go several yards out into the ocean to get good water. Water on the shore isn't usually very good quality.

Don't use water collected from the beach... You'll need to use a boat and go 10 or 15 minutes out into the water to get good water. And then you'll need to lug those heavy jugs from your boat to your tank. And make sure you have a good protein skimmer. But if the work is worth it to you and you have a boat to get away from shore pollution, I've heard wonderful results from NSW. You can't beat mother nature.

Maya said:
Don't use water collected from the beach... You'll need to use a boat and go 10 or 15 minutes out into the water to get good water. And then you'll need to lug those heavy jugs from your boat to your tank. And make sure you have a good protein skimmer. But if the work is worth it to you and you have a boat to get away from shore pollution, I've heard wonderful results from NSW. You can't beat mother nature.

Haha imagine have a 1km long python!! Hahahahahhahahahahah

Absolutely not recommended. As mentioned above, the beach is where the ocean's waste ends up. Waves are a natural skimmer for the ocean, the white tips you see, same thing as the bubbles in your home aquarium. You should never introduce something to your system that you can't test for, and the ocean can contain several parasites detrimental to your system. Obviously you can do whatever you want, but I would strongly recommend that you do anything other then this, you would be better off using tap water if you have an issue paying for RODI water.

I know at the coast there is a public aquarium. They have a station that people can get ocean water from it is already run through some type of filter. You might have something like that in your area it would be worth checking into.

If that was the case then it would be possible. Large public aquariums do use ocean water that is put through some rigorous filtration.

Back
Top Bottom