Can i use windex?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elitehunter1

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can I put a small amount of windex on a paper towel to clean my OUTER glass? Obviously I would ensure it did not come in contact with the tank water.

Can I put a small amount of windex on a paper towel to clean my OUTER glass? Obviously I would ensure it did not come in contact with the tank water.

You can, but there is glass cleaner that is made specifically for aquariums, but Windex is fine aslong as none gets into the water.

Vinegar works well it was recommended to me by lfs. I used to have aquarium glass cleaner smelled alot like vinegar.

I read that using windex on inside or outside of glass is no good.. Dont bash me its just what i read, look it up. Something like even if you spray on a cloth ammonia could seep in somehow and throw your numbers off.. I use vinegar myself

my mag float tends to wipe away any finger prings or salt runs that happen to be on the glass. its rare that i need to clean the glass with water or windex.

another good thing you could use is simply white vingar and water, this way you won't have to worry about getting it in the water and hurting your system

I read that using windex on inside or outside of glass is no good.. Dont bash me its just what i read, look it up. Something like even if you spray on a cloth ammonia could seep in somehow and throw your numbers off.. I use vinegar myself

I've heard this too but I don't believe it at all. Windex is fine.

To answer the specific question, no it is not harmful to use on the outer glass. Nothing can "seep" through the glass. Once again, as long as none gets in. As with any other chemical in the saltwater world, use with caution.

I'd suggest using deluded vinegar, it's safer and won't streak like windex does. It also gets rid of hard water/salt build up on glass tops that windex can't get no matter how hard you try IMO/E.

I use the window cleaner sheets with the cleaner stuff already on. It means you have no chance of rogue spraying. They are like wet wipes.

i just use windex sprayed into a paper towel i think sometimes people get too overly cautious lol

I use FW1 cleaning wax. It's great if you have kids or friends with kids that like to put their hand on the tank. Fingerprints generally are not left after touching the glass (y)

FW1%20New%20Size%20Can.jpg

It's a little harder to clean with at first, but the glass stays clean for much longer(very little sticks to it) and can be polished up with just a microfiber for quite a while before you have to use more cleaner. I use it on the glass in the house. Works especially well keeping bathroom mirrors clean.

Back
Top Bottom