Can it be done

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caliban07

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello. I have been looking in to saltwater tanks for a while know. Like with everything I have done quite a bit of research.

My question is.

Is it common for some people to run a FOWLR tank using only power heads and biological filtration? And a heater obviously. I know that people use sumps, protein skimmers, refugiums (spelling unsure) carbon reactors etc to enhance water quality. But is it possible to run a saltwater with a couple of clowns on just using power heads and bio filtration?

Yup. I've had several tanks without skimmers or sumps. You will need to do water changes more frequently than with a skimmer as part of the system.

Ok thanks. I'm not saying I won't be using one but was just asking the question if people do it. I would like to run a sump but it looks like a lot of extra work I just don't have the time for atm.

Once a sump is setup and running it actually makes everything really simple. lol I was terrified of the sump idea and was so worried that it would flood or some other major headaches would ensue. Now, several years later I realize how great they actually are. Nice place for added water volume which is an excellent thing, place to hide your stuff like heaters and pumps for reactors and a place for the skimmer instead of hanging off the back. Also a good place to place a filter sock and catch particulate matter that may be floating around in the water.

Thanks Carey. I do understand the benefits of the sump. I think I will wait until I have everything in place before I go saltwater. My house isn't big enough to accommodate say a 60gal + sump.

Most tanks have enough space under the stand to for a second tank. I am able to fit a 10g under my 20g reef which is absolutely perfect.

Back
Top Bottom