Can marine fishes be placed in fresh water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mansiz

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can marine fishes ( clown fish. etc ) be placed in fresh water? I know that some of you may find this question stupid, but I would really like to know whether they could survive in fresh water? What would happen to them if they are placed in fresh water? Lose colour? Suffocation?

Although I have read a few claims that people have acclimated clowns and other SW fish to FW, I don't think it would be something that would work out for very long. I don't know exactly what would happen to them if placed in FW except that death would be inevitable eventually. FW dips are used to control some parasites and this doesn't seem to bother the fish, but I'm assuming your question has to do with prolonged exposure. There are some fish that can live in either. I have a green spotted puffer who started out in FW and is now in SW @ 1.020.
Logan J

If you were able to acclimate the fish to FW, it would die of kidney failure in a short period of time. Most would die during the acclimation process.

Thanks a lot, reefrunner69 & loganj, then i won't purchase the marine fishes, just like both of you had said, they would died eventually. :D

So who has experience with FW dips?

I would assume we are talking Prepared water, dechlorinated and at teh right temp and PH... How long?

no longer than 15 minutes and you got the first part right..you have to watch them very closeley and do not leave their side..any sign of failure, and you will have to place them back in saltwater immediately... This is a very scary procedure for me, I tried it once and it worked, but it is scary for me as well as the fish... :(

timbo2 said:
no longer than 15 minutes and you got the first part right..you have to watch them very closeley and do not leave their side..any sign of failure, and you will have to place them back in saltwater immediately... This is a very scary procedure for me, I tried it once and it worked, but it is scary for me as well as the fish... :(

(y) (y)
schild43.gif
(y) (y)

Hmm vicshaw, marine clown fishes are different from clown loaches, marine clown fishes are orange and white stripes which lives in salt water and needs an anemone to survive. :D

haha michealprater, i don't think i'll start up a salt water tank, too troublesome, if i forgot to add salt then all fishes mati, haha.

hey mansiz just one correction, clowns do not need an anemone to survive they just use the anemones for protection. it is a symbiotic thing that occures in nature. not trying to flame you just letting you know. :lol:

Haha, kribbz, you are right. :D But i think they really need those anemones to survive in the ocean, anemones can help them kill small fishes for them to eat and protect them from predators.

mansiz wrote:

But i think they really need those anemones to survive in the ocean, anemones can help them kill small fishes for them to eat and protect them from predators.

This is actually a true statement when they are in the ocean. However, in our tanks, they do not need one mainly because the fear of predator's is gone. They actually live quite a long life in an aquarium without the anemone as a host. There are more and more advances these days in getting more species to spawn in captivity.

The Percula Clown, is the main one to breed in captivity. These fish although their great, great, grandfathers swam amongst the anemone, the newborn's in captivity have never seen an anemone, and therefore have been bread out of the cycle, and do not require the protection of the anemone.

The reason most owners of clown fish have anemones, is to see these amazing creatures in action just like they would be in the wild.

I just got 2 triggers . and did the freshwater dip I only left them in there for 5 min. it was to scary , but it turned out great they are doing very good !

Back
Top Bottom