Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 04-07-2011, 06:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
hackteck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,628
Send a message via AIM to hackteck
can nitrites be too high during a cycle?

im helping my brother cycle his tank its a 75G hes into week two, the ammonia spiked now its 0 currently im testing with the api saltwater master test kit the nitrites are currently according to the test kit 5.0ppm and the nitrates are 40 or so can nitrites be too high during the cycle? im doing a fishless cycle with raw shrimp as ammonia source
__________________

__________________
hackteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:05 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
hackteck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,628
Send a message via AIM to hackteck
oh also its been 5.0ppm for about 5 days
__________________

__________________
hackteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:26 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Casper, Wy
Posts: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by hackteck View Post
im doing a fishless cycle with raw shrimp as ammonia source
You answered you own question, in a fishless cycle it doesn't matter how high it goes. the High the nitrites the more food source, but the longer it well take to get eaten. things will level themselves out.
__________________
<img src="http://www.compwefix.net/public_html/compsi/sig.jpg" width=940 height=148>
Strawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:30 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
hackteck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,628
Send a message via AIM to hackteck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawman View Post
You answered you own question, in a fishless cycle it doesn't matter how high it goes. the High the nitrites the more food source, but the longer it well take to get eaten. things will level themselves out.
yea but i was searching this forum and some members said high nitrites like this can stall the cycle maybe they were wrong
__________________
hackteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:31 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ridgeland, MS
Posts: 371
I cycled a 75 gallon a few months ago, seeded with live rock. It took less than a week before my ammonia started dropping. My nitrites were through the roof for just about 2 weeks. I left to go out of town on friday afternoon, and dosed with ammonia and my nitrates were literally off the charts on the API master kit. When I got home on sunday the nitrite test water was as blue as the sky. This is what I did when the water didn't turn purple.
Nitrites take FOREVER to drop compared to the ammonia, but when the drop, they drop fast. Patience young grasshopper, patience.
__________________
tjm80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:40 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
hackteck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,628
Send a message via AIM to hackteck
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjm80 View Post
I cycled a 75 gallon a few months ago, seeded with live rock. It took less than a week before my ammonia started dropping. My nitrites were through the roof for just about 2 weeks. I left to go out of town on friday afternoon, and dosed with ammonia and my nitrates were literally off the charts on the API master kit. When I got home on sunday the nitrite test water was as blue as the sky. This is what I did when the water didn't turn purple.
Nitrites take FOREVER to drop compared to the ammonia, but when the drop, they drop fast. Patience young grasshopper, patience.
see thats the thing whenever ive done a fishless cycle the nitrites took a couple days to drop down to 0 guess i will wait a while
__________________
hackteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:59 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
PrettyFishies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 1,689
Are you curing the rock in your tank as well?
__________________
125 gal mixed REEF
PrettyFishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:09 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
hackteck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,628
Send a message via AIM to hackteck
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyFishies View Post
Are you curing the rock in your tank as well?
he got the rock from a lfs so there was minimum die off and yes its in the tank currently 100 lbs
__________________
hackteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:07 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada
Posts: 38
When I cycled my tank a few weeks ago, nitrite went from 5ppm for a week straight to 2ppm to 0.25 in around 24 hours. And my nitrate went from 160ppm to 80 to 20 to 5 in the same amount of time. So just be patient, it will happen soon.
__________________

__________________
Xathos is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cycle, nitrites

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can you cycle nitrites and stil have high ammonia? Eldan Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 7 12-20-2009 11:31 PM
HELP! High Nitrites in QT MarkW19 Saltwater Reef Aquaria 29 07-01-2004 07:24 PM
High Nitrites fishlane Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 13 03-12-2004 06:32 PM
Cycle - Ammonia down, Nitrites sky high. ericsze Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 3 10-06-2003 06:07 PM
Fishless cycle - nitrites high and nitrates climbing MarkC Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 4 09-23-2003 04:15 AM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.