Can old dried rock be used in a Sw build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ravden

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was visiting my parents today and my mom offered me some coral rock that's been in her hutch since I was young for the SW tank I'm putting together. Would they now be considered "dry rock" or even able to be used I'll include pictures 2 are blue from key west and not sure on red one

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1397429341243.jpg
    1397429341243.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 86
  • 1397429351601.jpg
    1397429351601.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 108
  • 1397429363010.jpg
    1397429363010.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 105
  • 1397429372989.jpg
    1397429372989.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 114
You can use any rock for SW and it will eventually become live. Just put the dry in with a couple of pieces of live while you cycle the tank. The live rock will seed it and there you go...,

I was reading and few articles said it had to be cycled for long period to kill anything on it

Of it's been sitting in a shelf for years there shouldn't be anything but dust to worry about. Just scrub it good with a stiff bristled brush and clean water and you are ready to go

Thanks guys, hero_mommy that's good news I was reading bout having to bleach and such and didn't wanna loose the color on them they look cool , they will be going into my first SW tank (30 gallon) reef

I bet some of that is expensive. Ive heard of old coral like that going for a couple hundred dollars a piece. But yeah just cure them in some ro water dor a few weeks and you'll be good

dino

I bet some of that is expensive. Ive heard of old coral like that going for a couple hundred dollars a piece. But yeah just cure them in some ro water dor a few weeks and you'll be good

dino

That is wayyyy expensive for old dead coral. I've got a pipe organ skeleton about the size of OP's and I paid $15 for it. Which I even thought was too much.

Yeah I saw some of those prices once hero_mommy pointed out the pipe skeleton my jaw bounced off the floor

Back
Top Bottom