Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-05-2012, 01:19 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looks like I'll be calling my plumber again.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:37 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Hi, I have a question for rutrag. I just requested the ro unit from pure water club for my birthday next month. Reading your post it seems your not impressed with yours. I'm wondering what you don't like about it? Maybe I should continue shopping for a different brand? Any suggestions? It has to be better than the ion exchange resin tap water filter I'm using now, isn't it?

Old 01-05-2012, 01:59 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also interested. Can anyone recommend a good one? Doesn't have to be over the top extreme, it's for a 29 gallon cube. Any suggestion? I see online a bunch. Confused.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 01-05-2012, 03:38 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Without decent water you have about as much chance of keeping a nice salt tank as I do of playing for Liverpool FC.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:49 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Air Water and Ice makes excellent RO/DI filters, some are sized specifically for aquarium keeping.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 03:49 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

I really like my RODI unit from BRS. I got the 5stage plus. Love the TDS meter (so i know the filters are working and when they go bad, to remove it), pressure gauge, and flush line. It came with several connections (tap faucet, copper line, outdoor hose etc).

I'm getting about a 50% return on my water (half water, half RODI water). Although i'm sure that high of a ratio is due more to the already decent water coming through my tap.

I decided to spend the $ and get the 5stage plus to get a few of these features, and don't regret the extra money I spent one bit.

Take a look, it may be what you're looking for.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:30 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaRick
I really like my RODI unit from BRS. I got the 5stage plus. Love the TDS meter (so i know the filters are working and when they go bad, to remove it), pressure gauge, and flush line. It came with several connections (tap faucet, copper line, outdoor hose etc).

I'm getting about a 50% return on my water (half water, half RODI water). Although i'm sure that high of a ratio is due more to the already decent water coming through my tap.

I decided to spend the $ and get the 5stage plus to get a few of these features, and don't regret the extra money I spent one bit.

Take a look, it may be what you're looking for.
Will do

Old 01-05-2012, 06:11 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz007 View Post
Hi, I have a question for rutrag. I just requested the ro unit from pure water club for my birthday next month. Reading your post it seems your not impressed with yours. I'm wondering what you don't like about it? Maybe I should continue shopping for a different brand? Any suggestions? It has to be better than the ion exchange resin tap water filter I'm using now, isn't it?
I got their 5 stage unit. Here's what I didn't like:
  1. It supposedly came with an adaptor / valve to go between the water supply coming out of the wall and the faucet. Whatever it was that came with it I either buggered up immediately or it was just not threaded properly. I then took several trips back and forth from the hardware store to get the stuff I needed to make it work like I wanted. BRS has the appropriate valve in stock.
  2. All of the tubing is white. (BRS I believe color codes theirs in red, white, blue, and green.) This is just a nuisance when it comes to figuring out what goes where. Although it's pre-assembled. . .
  3. I'm not convinced everything was hooked up right in the box. I do know that it was set up to flow right to left, and I wanted left to right for where I was going to put it. The directions are not that great and obviously translated from another language. I ended up going to the BRS website to figure out how to put everything together the way I wanted it. (This was my first RODI unit.)
  4. Both carbon blocks are the same. BRS has two different micron sizes so you get progressive as opposed to redundant filtration.
  5. I had some leaks at first. To be fair, that might have been the result of my disassembly and reassembly. They were resolved in any case.
  6. The deionization resin in this unit does not appear to be refillable.
  7. Vs. the same type from BRS, the one canister of the three was clear. I think all BRS canisters are clear. (I guess this isn't all that important, but I like the idea.)
Regardless, once properly assembled this unit will provide purer water at a long run lower cost than the Tap Water Filter from Aquarium Pharmacuticals (which is what I think you were using). I have tested the output from mine with a pen type TDS meter and I have 117ppm going in and 0 coming out. It just eneded up be a lot of work to save about $20 in the long run.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:32 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutrag

I got their 5 stage unit. Here's what I didn't like:
[*]It supposedly came with an adaptor / valve to go between the water supply coming out of the wall and the faucet. Whatever it was that came with it I either buggered up immediately or it was just not threaded properly. I then took several trips back and forth from the hardware store to get the stuff I needed to make it work like I wanted. BRS has the appropriate valve in stock.[*]All of the tubing is white. (BRS I believe color codes theirs in red, white, blue, and green.) This is just a nuisance when it comes to figuring out what goes where. Although it's pre-assembled. . .[*]I'm not convinced everything was hooked up right in the box. I do know that it was set up to flow right to left, and I wanted left to right for where I was going to put it. The directions are not that great and obviously translated from another language. I ended up going to the BRS website to figure out how to put everything together the way I wanted it. (This was my first RODI unit.)[*]Both carbon blocks are the same. BRS has two different micron sizes so you get progressive as opposed to redundant filtration.[*]I had some leaks at first. To be fair, that might have been the result of my disassembly and reassembly. They were resolved in any case.[*]The deionization resin in this unit does not appear to be refillable.[*]Vs. the same type from BRS, the one canister of the three was clear. I think all BRS canisters are clear. (I guess this isn't all that important, but I like the idea.)
Regardless, once properly assembled this unit will provide purer water at a long run lower cost than the Tap Water Filter from Aquarium Pharmacuticals (which is what I think you were using). I have tested the output from mine with a pen type TDS meter and I have 117ppm going in and 0 coming out. It just eneded up be a lot of work to save about $20 in the long run.
Thanks for sharing your opinion. It does seem pointless to pay for a five stage filter when two of them (the carbon blocks) don't compliment one another at all. I did feel the PWC unit better fit my budget but, the fact that the adapter/valve included is faulty and needs to be replaced adds to the overall cost of the unit. I may be better off spending a few more dollars on a better quality product and save myself the hassle. Anyway, I appreciate your feedback. Oh, by the way, you were correct about the tap water filter. It is the one made by Aquarium Pharmacuticals
Old 01-06-2012, 12:29 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I have the 4 stage ro/di. From bulk reef supply and love it .

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com