Can Stomatella get out of control?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goisles1

Aquarium Advice Freak
All I've read is that they are a goodf part of the cleanup crew. I've seen a few here and there in my tank and have actually witnessed one of them shooting eggs up into the water column.

Last night, after the lights were out for a couple hours I decided I'd take a look at my rock work. I was expecting to see just the normal pod activity and maybe some worms per normal.

However, Everywhere I looked I saw tiny Stomatella snails.

Anyone ever have a problem with these getting out of control population wise?

Not me. But as with anything too much of a good thing can be bad. That`s like the asternia stars I have had so many that I gave alot of them away. I dont have hundreds like I use to but I`m sure it will get back to that point sooner or later. When it does then I`ll give away some more.

Not me. But as with anything too much of a good thing can be bad. That`s like the asternia stars I have had so many that I gave alot of them away. I dont have hundreds like I use to but I`m sure it will get back to that point sooner or later. When it does then I`ll give away some more.

Makes sense.. I'll just keep my eye on it. I also notice them down in my sump/fuge area. I guess the eggs made it down there from the overflow.

They, as Mike stated are reef safe and I think what you saw as eggs was a snail expelling it's waste. If you want to keep them in check a 4 or 6 line wrasse will naturally keep them in check.
Good luck and happy reefing...

Back
Top Bottom