Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-30-2005, 10:09 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Is adding pure ammonia to a tank considered normal practice for cycling?

No, it definitely is not. I'm using it as an attempt to speed up the process. I am NOT recommending it. I may or may not be successful. However, unlike our current government, I will report the TRUTH about my experience ( ).

There is probably nothing better than to let nature take its course, no matter how slowly. Nature knows best when it comes to these things.

I'm only into this cycle only a few days. My sump shrimp is stinking nicely, so I'll probably back off the added ammonia. I have no appreciable nitrite readings at this point, so I can't report real success in terms of a speeding of the process.

However, I can report that no fish are suffering as a result of this cycling method, and that I plan to wait until the nitrates retreat before adding any livestock.

Theoretically, adding a small amount of ammonia will keep the bacteria happy. However, once my cycle is complete, I am going to "rent" some damsels to maintain the cycle until I am able to finish my tank with the addition of LR and clean-up critters.

Once my LR is in, I'll put my bio medium in my quarantine tank with a damsel to keep it busy for use when I'm ready to add some serious fish.

Good luck to you (and to me, too!!!)

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

List of possible/likely newcomers:

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
midiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 10:14 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks. I think I may add the pure ammonia to "test" the bio-filtration and see how fast the ammonia is oxidized. Good luck to you too.

Pete R.

1x Dolphin AS2100
1x Dolphin AM4700
72" Aqualight Pro: 4x96 Actinic, 3x150 HQI Halides, 4x1 moonlights
AquaC EV-1000 Protein Skimmer run by Dolphin AS2100
AquaUV 114 watt UV Sterilizer
2x Jager 250w
...Work in progess.....
peterac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 11:39 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

All I did was put 2 jumbo raw shrimp and removed the bio balls from my wet/dry and put lr in the bottom. That seems to work pretty **** good...(so far)
MAG-DRIVE 700 GPH
2x Maxi-Jet 1200 Power Head
PC Lighting
Remora pro skimmer
90 lbs LR
80 lbs of Carib Sea

Fish
Majestic Angel, Pink spotted gobie. Black percular clown, Coral Beauty, Lt. Tang, Mitratus B/F, Multicolor Dwarf Angelfish
sango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 02:30 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I really like the plan, Midi. Mostly the part about pre-cycling before the LR arrives. With LR.com rock, I bet you don't even get a blip when you put it in and as much will survive as possible.

I think the only risk to your plan is trying to force the tank to conform to your travel schedule. Besides...you're going to want to be around in the immediate time after the LR arrives because it is so much fun. Everyday is a new discovery!

If you need to keep your bacteria happy while you're gone, just drop another shrimp in before you leave. If things go really well, you'll have a supercharged bacteria load when you return.
Old 01-31-2005, 06:51 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
I think the only risk to your plan is trying to force the tank to conform to your travel schedule. Besides...you're going to want to be around in the immediate time after the LR arrives because it is so much fun. Everyday is a new discovery!
You're right. I have decided to wait. Having to return to cold, snowy NY after a week in Sicily will be made considerably brighter by resuming my aquatic pursuits. I hadn't really given enough consideration to the observation part of the new LR. After doing all of this research and prep, of course I want to be around for it to unfold - thanks for the point in the right direction.

(I still want to see if my efforts to speed the cycle will work - I tossed a second shrimp in this morning. One in the sump, one in the tank itself).

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

List of possible/likely newcomers:

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
midiman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
smell

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com