can you tall me in detail about setting up a reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

-Alex24-

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello everyone, in about a year or a year and a half - i want to start a reef tank (a peaceful little community of fish and other invertebrates, not dedicated to any specie) and can you please tell me how to set it up, what aquarium (preferably 10-55 gallon), filter system, lights, and of coarse the livestock. preferably not super expensive (i live in Canada here things are more expensive) but i know that reefs do get expensive, but this is just like-what would be cool to have in an aquarium :fish1: . I do this earlier just so i know what to save my money on (i still dont know if i want cichlids or reef).

:thanks: VERY MUCH

first - the bigger the better. Its hard to maintain a small 10 gallon, a 55 would be easier when it comes to your parameters.

Next - what do you want to keep? soft coral, hard coral, sps and anemones? This will dictate how much or how little you need in the way of lighting and filtration. If you're going all out you would want LED lighting and an over sized skimmer in a sump. If you just want some softies then T5's and a Hang off back skimmer will do.

Research research and do more research. Read these forums and google reeftanking. If you want a good guide Mr.Saltwater Tank sells them on his site and the dude knows what he's talking about.

Back
Top Bottom