Can you use an internal filter in salt water tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Personally, I wouldn't do it. First off, you're talking about a small tank. The less amount of room you take up with equipment, the better. You have to put in there a heater and a powerhead too, so adding an in-tank filter is really going to crowd things. Another point is that those filters are a pain to clean (I've used the fluval in freshwater tanks) so you might not be inclined to clean it as much as you will need to. Better to go for a cheap hang on the back filter (HOB) that is easier to get to and maintain.
Just my 2¢

Why use a filter at all?

I mean get a 3-4" sand bed and 5-10lbs of LR and thats your filter. Its not like your gonna be able to load this tank up with more than 1 fish.

Basicly a 5 gal would make a nice little invert tank.

Maybe some peperment shrimp and a small coral or two.

i agree with freak. its pretty easy to just slap a airstone under the live rock, and it works great in small tanks. :wink:

small tank

The equip does take up lots of room in a small tank. I have a Maxi Jet 400 PH tucked in behind the LR for circulation in my 10. You hardly know it's there and it creates great current in the small tank.
Logan J

fishfreek said:
Basicly a 5 gal would make a nice little invert tank.
Maybe some peperment shrimp and a small coral or two.

What invertabrates could i keep in it. The thing is i'm not going to have very strong lighting. I hear you can keep button corals without much light? I wanted to put in a percula clown.
ne way thanks

A percula clown would do well in that tank :D , mushroom corals don't require a huge amount of light, and like suggested before, shrimp can be a nice addition. Featherdusters don't require any special lighting either and can make a very nice display!

Almost forgot....I run a filter on all my tanks, even my little 5g. Why? Because it's a good place to run some carbon and/or other material (I also use Phos-zorb), it will get some of the detrius out of the water column, and it will also provide current. You just have to clean it regularly.

When I spoke of inverts I ment more like srimp or crabs.

a little Coral Banded Shrimp and some rock and some sand and maybe a mushroom would look nice in a 5.

JUST keep a very big eye on your evaporation. In small tanks evaporation will change the salinity much quicker than in larger tanks.

Back
Top Bottom