Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-20-2011, 10:44 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

So what type of corals need high light? Acros? And what would my light be considered?

needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:47 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

SPS are mostly high-light, acropora being in that category.

I would consider you medium light, now if you had a different brand I would say differently

Old 04-20-2011, 10:52 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm thinking about buying a new light soon, but what would be a good one. I've heard something about fishneedit but I'm not sure if their three foot fixture will be enough light for me. And are there any cheap halides that may be good?
Old 04-20-2011, 11:00 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Fishneedit also has halides, and they also have a 3ft 4-bulb fixture.

Some good ones (some also being pricey) are the Nova Extreme Pro (6-bulb) Aquaticlife makes some nice fixtures, and Tek makes great fixtures though theirs don't come with bulbs so you'd have to add that price into your decision.

If you want high-light then get 6 or more, if you want a good variety then get 4-6 bulbs
Old 04-20-2011, 11:11 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thank you so much. Ummm, so I know that halides have a shimmer effect but are there any other reasons why you would want them? I am probably going to go with the current USA fixture but if halides have something that I dont know about then I will get them.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:39 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDreamInSaltwater View Post
SPS are mostly high-light, acropora being in that category.

I would consider you medium light, now if you had a different brand I would say differently

I'm curious, do you think the crappy workmanship on that fixture actually makes that much difference? I know it does when you get into individual reflectors and the such but I had 2 arcoporas growing under my 30" fixture and they did quite well. I did have them half way up to the light though, do you think thats why I had better luck? In fact I bleached a brightly colored brain coral to death under my lights and he was on the substrate.

Just curious not being argumentative.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:50 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am also wondering, if I got a higher light coral like acro or maybe a millipora could I place it near the top and see how it does? And if a coral isn't doing great can you return them and they can easily bring them back to health. I would love to have some of these corals but if they are going to get hurt in the process then I won't take the risk.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:54 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Flake
IMO the acros are just too expensive to take the risk on. If you can get a frag from a local club for cheap, i'd try it, but I think if you brought back a dying acro, your lfs wouldn't take it back, Especially since there are situations where you have to start clipping it to prevent die off.

edit: most amazing run on sentence ever.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:57 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Lol okay so is there any cheaper and more durable type that still needs the lighting level similar to that. Birdsnest?
Old 04-20-2011, 12:01 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

My big attempt at arcoporas are 2 frags i got for $30. A birdsnest and one I dont know what it is. lol They look similiar. anyway, I had them at the top of my rock and they did fine there. They need water flow and high light so I had the perfect spot for them. My birds nest is probably 3 times the size it was in a little over 2 months.

Tags
coral

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com