canister filter as reactor? (chemical media)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NightHawk-33

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a canister filter spare that i may aswel use for something. Going to connect a hydor external heater and for extra flow. What you guys think of using something like chemi pure elite and puragen within it?

People w/ fowlr systems use canisters w/ everything you stated in media baskets. Long as you are ontop of the maintenance of your canister youll be fine, they just build up w/ gunk that can cause nitrate issues.

NightHawk-33 said:
I have a canister filter spare that i may aswel use for something. Going to connect a hydor external heater and for extra flow. What you guys think of using something like chemi pure elite and puragen within it?

If your tank is fine filtration wise now then your better off without it. Will only cause more maintenance and nutrient buildup.

Schism said:
If your tank is fine filtration wise now then your better off without it. Will only cause more maintenance and nutrient buildup.

The tank is drilled for the canister but does not have the space for a sump. Would you use it or plug the holes? If so how would i utilise the hydor external heater? Just tryin to get things out of the display before i start...

NightHawk-33 said:
The tank is drilled for the canister but does not have the space for a sump. Would you use it or plug the holes? If so how would i utilise the hydor external heater? Just tryin to get things out of the display before i start...

What other filtration do you have?

But personally if i had a skimmer and live rock, i would plug it, unless you wanna do the extra maintenance. This would involve ditching the heater for an intank heater.

It just depends on what you want to do.

Back
Top Bottom