Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-22-2012, 04:48 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightHawk-33

I carnt as the fluval profile has the side opening doors and there is not enough space for a sump .. There is also alot of people who say live rock and a good skimmer is enough filtration?
Yes heres my 29g after 9 months. Live rock/ skimmer. Just to show the doubters that i know, some people seem to think mechanical filtration is necessary

I have run nearly all my tanks this way. Canisters are slowly and slowly becoming less popular by experienced reefers. But they are still around. Live rock, skimmer and maybe a cheap carbon/gfi reactor is far more efficient and cheaper.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4065376570.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	102124   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2099209365.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	102125  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-621025114.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	102126  

Old 06-22-2012, 08:13 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism

Yes heres my 29g after 9 months. Live rock/ skimmer. Just to show the doubters that i know, some people seem to think mechanical filtration is necessary

I have run nearly all my tanks this way. Canisters are slowly and slowly becoming less popular by experienced reefers. But they are still around. Live rock, skimmer and maybe a cheap carbon/gfi reactor is far more efficient and cheaper.
Sorry to go off topic, but is that an anemone in the bottom right of the 1st photo? It looks amazing!

Old 06-22-2012, 09:01 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrance
IMO use the canister if
1. you don't have enough room for live rocks in the display tank or
2. you want a mechanical filter (needs cleaning every ~2 weeks)
3. if you want to use those filter media (carbon, phosphate reducers, etc)

It doesn't add much for volume to your 72g tank (Fluval Profile 1000 is 72g right?). You can use a powerhead instead of using the canister to push water. For a tank without a sump, #3 is the only reason I would use it. If you had a sump, then there is no reason to use a canister. It doesn't add much more to the overall setup, but creates more maintenance and add to the electricity bill.
So would you just got for live rock and a good skimmer for filtration? And tank the mechanical filter media out of the canister?
Old 06-22-2012, 11:47 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes live rocks and skimmer will be good enough. Then ditch the canister all together. When water change comes, siphon the substrate really good to collect all the waste (you are the mechanical filter )
Old 06-22-2012, 01:45 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Yes live rocks and skimmer will be good enough. Then ditch the canister all together. When water change comes, siphon the substrate really good to collect all the waste (you are the mechanical filter )
But the canister has to be attached so the tank doesnt leak through the bottom. So i was just trying to come up with a use for it?
Old 06-22-2012, 06:56 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerald76

Sorry to go off topic, but is that an anemone in the bottom right of the 1st photo? It looks amazing!
No actually, its a Tyree Neon Green Toadstool. Sarcophyton sp. My clowns have hosted it since it was a 2" frag practically.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:57 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Precisely
Old 06-22-2012, 10:27 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightHawk-33 View Post
But the canister has to be attached so the tank doesnt leak through the bottom. So i was just trying to come up with a use for it?
I thought there were plugs for the holes. Contact manufacturer for more info?
Old 06-22-2012, 11:33 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah if there is no way to detach the canister without draining the tank then some made a plumbing error lol.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:02 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
I run a canister on my tank and it's only for mechanical filtration. If you haven't used the canister yet take it back and get yourself another tank to use as a sump. Your tank is already drilled and the best way to go is to run a sump, less maintenance and adds water volume which adds stability. Do some research (google is a good tool for this) on sumps and you will more than likely want to go that route.

Tags
canister, canister filter, filter, marine, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com