Canister filter for marine tank ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
kdpuffer said:
I run a canister on my tank and it's only for mechanical filtration. If you haven't used the canister yet take it back and get yourself another tank to use as a sump. Your tank is already drilled and the best way to go is to run a sump, less maintenance and adds water volume which adds stability. Do some research (google is a good tool for this) on sumps and you will more than likely want to go that route.

The problem is my side opening cabinate is very small. Also is a wier required if i build a very small sump. The tank is drilled and has an intake strainer and a output port back into the tank. Youtube anu fluval profile and you will see. Would i be able to use these on a sump?

I use a canister filter for 2 years now and never had a problem, my prams could be better but are still very good, I clean mine every week and always use new floss, I run several media and every thing runs fine, a sump is the way forward but I'm in the same position as you in the way that I can't fit a sump because it's a corner tank and I have supports inside the Cabernet that prevents me from installing one, don't slack on pwc and test test test

I saw one of those systems at my lfs with the side opening. They don't support a sump really. I don't know why Hagen did that! Most of the cabinet space is unusable with the 1 side opening and there isn't really anything you can do to change that. Poor design IMHO with no "invisible" front doors.

Ingy said:
I saw one of those systems at my lfs with the side opening. They don't support a sump really. I don't know why Hagen did that! Most of the cabinet space is unusable with the 1 side opening and there isn't really anything you can do to change that. Poor design IMHO with no "invisible" front doors.

So i guess am gunna use the canister as an extra for a few hour of mechanical filtering? The tank looks so good and is why i bought it, but if i knew what i do know i wouldnt have purchased. Skimmer (deltec.mce 600 turbo) with live rock n live sand enough? Going to use canister for flow and chemical media?

I was lucky when I was shopping because I can't access the Side door with my placement (walls one both sides). Otherwise I might have bought one too.

Ingy said:
I was lucky when I was shopping because I can't access the Side door with my placement (walls one both sides). Otherwise I might have bought one too.

They are good lookin tanks tho. Looks smart in my dining room! Anyone else got one? What do you guys think of the deltec skimmer mce 600 turbo then?

Back
Top Bottom