Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-21-2012, 04:25 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Canister filter for marine tank ideas?

Hi there, i recentley purchased the fluval 1000 in the hope of converting to a marine reef aquarium. I have researched that canister filters can become nitrite factories if not cleaned out frequently. Instead of wasting the use of the filter, have u guys any ideas of what i can put in it instead of mechanical media. Ive heard they can be used for carbon etc, filling with live rock rubble or jus using as a powerhead but that seems to be a waste of the fluval 305. What do you guys recommend i do?

Old 06-21-2012, 04:42 PM   #2
Fish R friends, not food!

You can use it. Just make sure that you clean it out weekly. I cleaned mine every two weeks and had <10ppm nitrates. They can be used, there are just better options out there.

spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:44 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I agree, I used a fluval 305 for almost a year on my 55g and kept 0 nitrates.

As mentioned, there are better options but you can certainly use what you got.

I ran carbon every other month or so but the rest of the media was bio rings and filter pads. You can also run gfo for phosphates in it as well if you need to.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:23 PM   #4

Gfo? Sorry this is my first saltwater lol. So why are there so many people online callin them the 'nitrite factory' haha? So what media do you recommend ? Got a deltec mce600 on a 75g, that ok or too big?
Old 06-21-2012, 05:50 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightHawk-33
Gfo? Sorry this is my first saltwater lol. So why are there so many people online callin them the 'nitrite factory' haha? So what media do you recommend ? Got a deltec mce600 on a 75g, that ok or too big?
They are called nitrate factories because thats what they do. When anything sits inside of a tank for any period it begins to rot. When decay occurs like food for example it breaks down into many organic compounds, of these compounds ammonia is produced. Bacteria convert this ammonia into nitrite and finally nitrate. No matter what you do this occurs on some small scale in a canister. The longer it sits and collects organics the higher the nitrate production. Things begin to decompose within hours. If you plan a high bioload then expect to be cleaning it multiple times a week. Weekly maintenance is absolutley needed. If you went 2 weeks you might start suffering from problems.

For all these reasons most reefers trying to maintain absolute nutrient control with nearly no filter maintenance at all rely on skimmers. A skimmer completely removes organics from the water instead of trapping them and allowing them to rot inside the tank like a canister.

A skimmer only requires the collection cup being emptied about 1-3 times a week depending on many things but it is as simple as pulling off the cup dumping it, rinsing and replace. Very easy, but also extremely effective.

You will be fine with a canister however it only gonna take good care of your tank if you take great care of it.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism

They are called nitrate factories because thats what they do. When anything sits inside of a tank for any period it begins to rot. When decay occurs like food for example it breaks down into many organic compounds, of these compounds ammonia is produced. Bacteria convert this ammonia into nitrite and finally nitrate. No matter what you do this occurs on some small scale in a canister. The longer it sits and collects organics the higher the nitrate production. Things begin to decompose within hours. If you plan a high bioload then expect to be cleaning it multiple times a week. Weekly maintenance is absolutley needed. If you went 2 weeks you might start suffering from problems.

For all these reasons most reefers trying to maintain absolute nutrient control with nearly no filter maintenance at all rely on skimmers. A skimmer completely removes organics from the water instead of trapping them and allowing them to rot inside the tank like a canister.

A skimmer only requires the collection cup being emptied about 1-3 times a week depending on many things but it is as simple as pulling off the cup dumping it, rinsing and replace. Very easy, but also extremely effective.

You will be fine with a canister however it only gonna take good care of your tank if you take great care of it.
Yes i understand where you are coming from matey. So what do you recommend i use the canister for? It may aswell do something as the tank is already drilled for it.. Any ides?
Old 06-21-2012, 06:17 PM   #7

Also do you think the deltec 600 turbo if too big for 75g? Heard tou suposed to buy around double the estimate? My tank is 75g. Reviews on the skimmer? Or others of quality?
Old 06-21-2012, 09:45 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Have you thought about running a sump instead seeing as how your tank is already drilled?
Old 06-21-2012, 10:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingy
Have you thought about running a sump instead seeing as how your tank is already drilled?
I carnt as the fluval profile has the side opening doors and there is not enough space for a sump .. There is also alot of people who say live rock and a good skimmer is enough filtration?
Old 06-21-2012, 11:31 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

IMO use the canister if
1. you don't have enough room for live rocks in the display tank or
2. you want a mechanical filter (needs cleaning every ~2 weeks)
3. if you want to use those filter media (carbon, phosphate reducers, etc)

It doesn't add much for volume to your 72g tank (Fluval Profile 1000 is 72g right?). You can use a powerhead instead of using the canister to push water. For a tank without a sump, #3 is the only reason I would use it. If you had a sump, then there is no reason to use a canister. It doesn't add much more to the overall setup, but creates more maintenance and add to the electricity bill.

Tags
canister, canister filter, filter, marine, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com