Canister filter for marine tank ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NightHawk-33

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there, i recentley purchased the fluval 1000 in the hope of converting to a marine reef aquarium. I have researched that canister filters can become nitrite factories if not cleaned out frequently. Instead of wasting the use of the filter, have u guys any ideas of what i can put in it instead of mechanical media. Ive heard they can be used for carbon etc, filling with live rock rubble or jus using as a powerhead but that seems to be a waste of the fluval 305. What do you guys recommend i do?

You can use it. Just make sure that you clean it out weekly. I cleaned mine every two weeks and had <10ppm nitrates. They can be used, there are just better options out there.

I agree, I used a fluval 305 for almost a year on my 55g and kept 0 nitrates. :)

As mentioned, there are better options but you can certainly use what you got.

I ran carbon every other month or so but the rest of the media was bio rings and filter pads. You can also run gfo for phosphates in it as well if you need to.

Gfo? Sorry this is my first saltwater lol. So why are there so many people online callin them the 'nitrite factory' haha? So what media do you recommend ? Got a deltec mce600 on a 75g, that ok or too big?

NightHawk-33 said:
Gfo? Sorry this is my first saltwater lol. So why are there so many people online callin them the 'nitrite factory' haha? So what media do you recommend ? Got a deltec mce600 on a 75g, that ok or too big?

They are called nitrate factories because thats what they do. When anything sits inside of a tank for any period it begins to rot. When decay occurs like food for example it breaks down into many organic compounds, of these compounds ammonia is produced. Bacteria convert this ammonia into nitrite and finally nitrate. No matter what you do this occurs on some small scale in a canister. The longer it sits and collects organics the higher the nitrate production. Things begin to decompose within hours. If you plan a high bioload then expect to be cleaning it multiple times a week. Weekly maintenance is absolutley needed. If you went 2 weeks you might start suffering from problems.

For all these reasons most reefers trying to maintain absolute nutrient control with nearly no filter maintenance at all rely on skimmers. A skimmer completely removes organics from the water instead of trapping them and allowing them to rot inside the tank like a canister.

A skimmer only requires the collection cup being emptied about 1-3 times a week depending on many things but it is as simple as pulling off the cup dumping it, rinsing and replace. Very easy, but also extremely effective.

You will be fine with a canister however it only gonna take good care of your tank if you take great care of it.

Schism said:
They are called nitrate factories because thats what they do. When anything sits inside of a tank for any period it begins to rot. When decay occurs like food for example it breaks down into many organic compounds, of these compounds ammonia is produced. Bacteria convert this ammonia into nitrite and finally nitrate. No matter what you do this occurs on some small scale in a canister. The longer it sits and collects organics the higher the nitrate production. Things begin to decompose within hours. If you plan a high bioload then expect to be cleaning it multiple times a week. Weekly maintenance is absolutley needed. If you went 2 weeks you might start suffering from problems.

For all these reasons most reefers trying to maintain absolute nutrient control with nearly no filter maintenance at all rely on skimmers. A skimmer completely removes organics from the water instead of trapping them and allowing them to rot inside the tank like a canister.

A skimmer only requires the collection cup being emptied about 1-3 times a week depending on many things but it is as simple as pulling off the cup dumping it, rinsing and replace. Very easy, but also extremely effective.

You will be fine with a canister however it only gonna take good care of your tank if you take great care of it.

Yes i understand where you are coming from matey. So what do you recommend i use the canister for? It may aswell do something as the tank is already drilled for it.. Any ides?

Also do you think the deltec 600 turbo if too big for 75g? Heard tou suposed to buy around double the estimate? My tank is 75g. Reviews on the skimmer? Or others of quality?

Ingy said:
Have you thought about running a sump instead seeing as how your tank is already drilled?

I carnt as the fluval profile has the side opening doors and there is not enough space for a sump :(.. There is also alot of people who say live rock and a good skimmer is enough filtration?

IMO use the canister if
1. you don't have enough room for live rocks in the display tank or
2. you want a mechanical filter (needs cleaning every ~2 weeks)
3. if you want to use those filter media (carbon, phosphate reducers, etc)

It doesn't add much for volume to your 72g tank (Fluval Profile 1000 is 72g right?). You can use a powerhead instead of using the canister to push water. For a tank without a sump, #3 is the only reason I would use it. If you had a sump, then there is no reason to use a canister. It doesn't add much more to the overall setup, but creates more maintenance and add to the electricity bill.

NightHawk-33 said:
I carnt as the fluval profile has the side opening doors and there is not enough space for a sump :(.. There is also alot of people who say live rock and a good skimmer is enough filtration?

Yes heres my 29g after 9 months. Live rock/ skimmer. Just to show the doubters that i know, some people seem to think mechanical filtration is necessary

I have run nearly all my tanks this way. Canisters are slowly and slowly becoming less popular by experienced reefers. But they are still around. Live rock, skimmer and maybe a cheap carbon/gfi reactor is far more efficient and cheaper.

Attachments

• image-4065376570.jpg
    image-4065376570.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 163
  • image-2099209365.jpg
    image-2099209365.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 120
  • image-621025114.jpg
    image-621025114.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 106
Schism said:
Yes heres my 29g after 9 months. Live rock/ skimmer. Just to show the doubters that i know, some people seem to think mechanical filtration is necessary

I have run nearly all my tanks this way. Canisters are slowly and slowly becoming less popular by experienced reefers. But they are still around. Live rock, skimmer and maybe a cheap carbon/gfi reactor is far more efficient and cheaper.

Sorry to go off topic, but is that an anemone in the bottom right of the 1st photo? It looks amazing!

Terrance said:
IMO use the canister if
1. you don't have enough room for live rocks in the display tank or
2. you want a mechanical filter (needs cleaning every ~2 weeks)
3. if you want to use those filter media (carbon, phosphate reducers, etc)

It doesn't add much for volume to your 72g tank (Fluval Profile 1000 is 72g right?). You can use a powerhead instead of using the canister to push water. For a tank without a sump, #3 is the only reason I would use it. If you had a sump, then there is no reason to use a canister. It doesn't add much more to the overall setup, but creates more maintenance and add to the electricity bill.

So would you just got for live rock and a good skimmer for filtration? And tank the mechanical filter media out of the canister?

Yes live rocks and skimmer will be good enough. Then ditch the canister all together. When water change comes, siphon the substrate really good to collect all the waste (you are the mechanical filter ;))

Terrance said:
Yes live rocks and skimmer will be good enough. Then ditch the canister all together. When water change comes, siphon the substrate really good to collect all the waste (you are the mechanical filter ;))

But the canister has to be attached so the tank doesnt leak through the bottom. So i was just trying to come up with a use for it?

emerald76 said:
Sorry to go off topic, but is that an anemone in the bottom right of the 1st photo? It looks amazing!

No actually, its a Tyree Neon Green Toadstool. Sarcophyton sp. My clowns have hosted it since it was a 2" frag practically.

Terrance said:

Precisely;)

Yeah if there is no way to detach the canister without draining the tank then some made a plumbing error lol.

I run a canister on my tank and it's only for mechanical filtration. If you haven't used the canister yet take it back and get yourself another tank to use as a sump. Your tank is already drilled and the best way to go is to run a sump, less maintenance and adds water volume which adds stability. Do some research (google is a good tool for this) on sumps and you will more than likely want to go that route.

Back
Top Bottom